Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wetheat Chefs (OT)

Singh,

i love bread pudding! Can't wait to try this.

Great to see you in Utica too!!!

steve

PS - my best recipe of th year is General Tso Chicken. let me know if you want it!

Comments

• Wethead Chefs (OT)

Coming upon the weekend here, it brings to mind cooking and eating. I know most of you guys like to eat; how about the cooking side? Do you like to spend time in the kitchen with a new recipe; perhaps a new kitchen gadget?

I, myself have come to enjoy buying local meat and produce and turning it into a tasty, healthy meal. Getting divorced pushed me to start cooking for myself and now find myself immersed in it. Me and my girlfriend will spend time cooking up a meal for ourselves or have people over for a dinner party.

Here's what I'm fixing tonight:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/22555

and for desert:

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/cherry_clafouti/

Both are extremely easy and hopefully tasty as well.

I also like Indian curries and have become fascinated with chilies because of the remarkable flavor that they add to a savory dish.

What about you guys?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    plain old barbecue

for me. But I did get a Green Egg charcoal cooker and I am branching out with food choices. Local farmers markets are getting more common around here, organic produce, less chemicals.

I am going to build a solar cooker as a weekend project with my 7 year old nephew in a few weeks. Googling around I see hundreds of plans and variations on solar cookers, should be fun.

Glad all is going well out your way, and you are eating well :)

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395
    as we speak

I am eating a steak for breakfast. My wife is out of town and I am in charge ;) later I plan to have ice cream with brownies for lunch. My daughter loves it.
  • Leo G_102
    Leo G_102 Member Posts: 11
    Alan,

this last winter I got into the slow-cooker style of food. YUMMEE!!!!

My funnest thing tho is breakfast, I love doing pancakes/bacon/eggs/etc. for my boys and friends. But what still amazes me, is that I'll spend upwards of an hour to get it done, and it all disappears within a couple of minutes! LOL!!!

Leo G
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    food, food, food

We have gotten into making homemade ice cream. We have a little motorized machine with a freezer cylinder we keep in freezer. Takes about 10 minutes prep time, put in freezer thingy and in 30 minutes, mmmmmmmmmmmm good. I also cook quite a bit. More than I should as my profile takes a little more paper when I am sketched. I just like good food too much. Tim
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    I built

An outdoor kitchen 17 yrs. ago, before they were all the rage...Has hot/cold water, sink, grill, gas cooktop,smoker,outside shower, and an old gas griddle that did yeoman service in a pizza shop. I'm working on getting a small commercial deep fryer as well.We cook anything/everything out there.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

When I was in my late teens I spent a year as an assistant chef in a private club. Due to that training, I do most of the cooking in our family. And lately we've been doing some experimenting with new dishes. We also try to use more natural and organic ingredients. I really enjoy it, especially with a glass of red or a beer in my hand.

My wife loves to bake. So much so that when we redid our kitchen we put in 2 ovens. Not a double oven, but 2 full size ovens. I guess the baking has rubbed of as my daughter will be attending the CT Culinary Institute in Hartford this September for baking and pastry.
  • Scott Denny
    Scott Denny Member Posts: 124
    addicted to rubs

I'm addicted to BBQ rubs(ribs are good, too). If you can think of something to put on the grill, I can match it with a rub. As for produce, I've been growing my own organically since the early '80's. Even grow basil and garlic for home made pesto, uuuuummmmm!
  • Heather_5
    Heather_5 Member Posts: 39
    I love..

cooking. Baking, grilling, frying...it's all like therapy..very relaxing and methodical.

I've become the pantry queen. Thanks to a few years as a pre-teen and teen living off church donations I ended up with a creative eye in the kitchen. I can make just about anything into a meal.

Unfortunately, the boyfriend is picky..I can't cook half of my best dishes because he doesn't like one of the ingredients. I usually have to kick him out and lie about what I put in a dish for him to even try it.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Fresh Food and Salmon

I have a P-Patch community garden plot right across the street from my home. 400SF for produce, the yield allows me to feed more than a few families.

It's salmon time in the NW and the best way to cook it is to bake it on a cedar plank, on the BBQ. The planks come 8x18" and are presoaked for 1/2hr before cooking. The fillet goes skin down on the plank. Takes 20min to 1/2hr depending upon the thickness of the fillet. When the plank starts smoking, lower the hood and turn the grill down low. I keep a water spray bottle handy to rewet the plank if it gets too hot.

The fire department once showed up at my door while I was smokin' the salmon plank. Neighbors thought there was a fire and called the FD. The firemen stayed for dinner.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Yeah,

I knew there were a few of you foodies out there somewhere in the woodwork.

And I started paying more attention to what goes into the food I buy after I started cooking. No more MSG (duh) and no more corn syrup. Have you seen how many manufacturers are going back to cane sugar as an ingredient because of all the bad things coming out about corn syrup? Some are calling it their "classic" version.

hot rod: What's the delta T on the slow cooker? I'd like to see pictures of that project.

Leo G: Yes, lots of time in the kitchen and then it's all gone. Hopefully, you don't have to do the dishes as well.

mtfallsmikey: I've looked at deep fat fryers for the home because I love french fries, but then decide against it because I think it would get out of hand.

Paul: That's great how you picked it up and how it gets passed on to your daughter. This is my next baking project:

http://manggy.blogspot.com/2009/01/cherry-clafoutis.html

srdenny: Fantastic to have your own garden. This is my second year growing my own herbs; basil, thyme, oregano, chives, marjoram, tarragon, parsley, etc. Do you have any Mulberry trees? Have you ever thought of keeping your own bees?

Paul: I knew I'd hear from you. I saw those planks in the BBQ section of my local Ace Hardware store, but wasn't sure if it was worth the price. When you say baked in the BBQ, I guess you mean indirect heat with the coals on the side?

All the best,

Alan
  • cooking???

Alan,

The kitchen is my release! i do almost all the cooking in the house from German to Asian Fusion to Greek.... all fun. My better half gives me a new "day with a chef" every christmas to go learn a new style. WHAT A BLAST.

One day I will even install my dream kitchen!

wheels
  • Singh_9
    Singh_9 Member Posts: 24
    Bagel bread pudding w/orange sauce

Here in NY, bagels are a must!
    However, if you don't eat them in a couple of days , they get a little hard.

So last week , I tried to recycle my extras. Not bad, ate most of it myself for dessert, had some for breakfast, and lunch.

4 cups of bagels cut into 1"-2" cubes (old bread ok also)
    4 eggs
    2 3/4 cups of milk
    1 cup of sugar
    cinnamon 1 tbs
    nutmeg 1 tsp
    dried craisins (or raisins) 1/2 cup

Place bagels in a greased 9x12 baking dish
    Mix all the other ingredients well in a seperate bowl.
    Pour mixture over bagels and bake on 350 for 45 minutes

Sauce:
    1/2 cup of orange juice
    1 tbs of cornstarch
    1/2 cup of sugar

Mix well. In a sauce pan with 2 tbs of butter , simmer until thickens.
    Pour over warm bread pudding, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
    Mmmmm..

Happy Father's Day
  • Paul Pollets
    Alan

The plank is placed directly over the burners. The board will char below, and smoke heavily. Directions come with the planks. I now have a local woodworking buddy who cuts me planks of untreated cedar.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315
    A recipe

Here's one I got off the internet for Jambalaya. Not A pure New Orleans take on it, but I loved it. Made me sweat!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-jambalaya/

FYI: I substituted Cajun seasoning for the chile powder and used about 1/3 head of cauliflower (not a big fan, but shredded in you can't taste it, and I'm sure it's healthier).
  • Planks

I bought a couple of Alder planks and plan on BBQing some sweet, fresh Salmon. My kids are coming over for Father's Day. I'll let you know how it turns out; thanks for the good idea.

I would have made the bread pudding for dessert, but I've got something else planned; will try it out later, though.

Steve Wieland: With a last name like that, your Mother must have made you Spaetzle and Rotkraut, nicht war?
  • Singh_9
    Singh_9 Member Posts: 24
    Oh Yeah

I like General Tso chicken. I'll try it this weekend.

Good seeing you in Utica as well.

Still working on my swing ; )
  • HAHA

Alan,

My grandmother was from the old country, southern part of Germany near the black hills. The cooking difference in Germany is much like here in the states, the north is very different from the south.

Today I still hand make my Spatzle with a cutting board and blade. I still cook pork & venison the way she taught me.

thanks,

skw
  • It's time

you got a Spaetzle-Schwob:

http://www.loewen-urbach.de/swabian_spaetzle_maker.html

I still have my Omama's.

I think I'll make some tonight.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    cooking with steam!

artichokes in the pressure cooker take 15 min from steam up-to top off. a good vinagrette with plenty of dijon mustard goes well with them- so simple, and yet so delicious!--nbc
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    Alan,

Sorry to interrupt your post, but could you please contact me at jcaog@comcast.net.
    I've tried your email a few times, and it keeps getting bounced back.

Now....on with the mouth watering!!! Chris
  • Glen
    Glen Member Posts: 855
    Paul -

try apple or cherry planks from a orchard. work wonders! and my glaze for the wonderful salmon:4 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar, 1 cup of apple juice, reduce this to half volume,add maple syrup and cayenne. brush liberally on the planked salmon and through out the cooking time. between the smoking and the glaze - the presentation and taste is to die for. works just as well on atlantic salmon.
  • still by hand

My mother use to have one of those, but I still make them thje old school way by hand!
  • Paul Pollets
  • Paul Pollets
    Wood Supply

Good recipe!! There's not an abundance of apple or cherry in the NW. Cedar or Alder are prominent.
    A guitar maker friend ripped me some cedar planks from #1 growth 300 year old cedar. I hate to burn the planks, they're so aromatic, but all for the sake of salmon!!

• No apples in Washington?

Maybe out in the 'burbs, Paul where the orchards are.

BTW, the plank Salmon with Glen's apple juice glaze was great.
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079

This discussion has been closed.