Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NO HEAT FLOW

"pumping away"?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Bill Julian
    Bill Julian Member Posts: 162
    NO HEAT FLOW

Connected another zone today (7 now in all) to a Burnham boiler hot water/ gas. Basement zone has 2 u shaped loops I had to install to get around doors but water flowing only when fast fill used.
    When a call for heat the feed or return does not get hot..Can't figure it. Do I use circ with relay or tap into the top of the U shaped loops with a tee and bleeder?

The return piping has 7 zone valves as a manifold near the boiler. The feed tee off above to each zone. Zone valves are powered and therm calling. Its a flow problem I suspect.
  • Bill Julian
    NO HEAT FLOW

I am going to re state what the problem is after hearing a few comments about it.
    I have a hot water boiler baseboard radiation with 6 zones (zone valves) I added another making 7.
    I cut in an 11/4X3/4 copper tee to feed this new basement zone. Return comes in boiler high with the others (zone valves). The existing circ is carrying all the zones on a call for heat (small 007). I think the problem is flow/piping. This basement zone has 2 floor/ceiling U-Shaped turns in it (unavoidable) possibly causing the water to trap.
    HOWEVER, when I run the fast fill and open up the boiler drain to bleed the entire loop gets hot in its developed length. This tells me there is no air but possibly a flow problem created from lack of circulation.

I was thinking of installing a 007 on the feed side and take my chances.
    I'll take any help..thanks
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

If the zone valves are open and there isn't any flow cheks
    in the opposite flow position, all valves open, all the air is purged from the zones, and you have the proper voltage to the circulator, you probably have a bad circulator.

What's the amp draw for the circulator?
  • he didn't use

He didint use the required mono flo tees on this job andtold him to buy the B/G or pumping away book to understand the system.
  • Bill Julian

Hi

All zone valves are open circ ok..its fine "pumping away" the other zones. I suspect it is a flow problem but I am asking your thoughts and expertise as well.
    No one has mentioned the U shaped loop in the system yet maybe this isn't a concern as I think it is. This pressure drop has to be corrected...I am simply asking the best way out.
  • bill

As it sounds super frustrating to you,, try to imagine how we feel not being able to "see" your system description.
    We would most definitely better understand your plight if you could post a few pics.

Dave
  • Bill Julian

Dave

Pictures? I wish I had them. Picture a Burnham boiler that has 6 zones valves on the return I added another that makes 7.
    The feed comes off the boiler and feeds 7 zones of heat has been working great with 6 for 10 years (boiler ok, pump ok)
    I piped a Basement zone I teed off the 11/4 copper (11/4 x3/4 tee) in the ceiling to my baseboard "below" 10 feet of baseboard then up to the ceiling missing a doorway then back down to 20 feet of BB then up to the ceiling then down to the boiler return.
    I get no ho water flow from it. Only time the entire loop gets hot is with the fast-fill S11566F so air don't seem to be a problem...it seems to be FLOW!! Does that make it clear for you? thanks

• Great attitude,

I think about heating systems all day on the job.
    These are systems I can physically see but the thought process is demanding.
    If you think every system is the same, then your thread would have been properly answered in the first response.

If your not willing to post a pic, and think a simple answer is right on everyones tongue, then wake-up & smell the coffee!

Good luck diagnosing your problem.

Dave
  • Bill Julian

Picture
  • as I said before

U will need divertor tees to make this work properly and you didn't answer my question of which trade are you in.?
  • See,, its not that hard

to post something more helpful to us! LOL.
    I see Ray is mentioning monoflow, to which I saw no mention from you.
    Are the other zones M/F, loop or 2 pipe?
    It also seems your not pumping away(at least from the boiler), and where is the exp. tank located?
    Air-vents can be great devices, but can cause many many problem issues if the other mentioned practice is not heeded.

Dave
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

It's quit obvious you know nothing about heating systems.

Are we supose to guess you had a monoflow or hacked up system?

You've been given the right answers, if you still don't understand you may want to hire someone who does.

Unbelieveable
  • I guess Bill...

I guess Bill doesn't want to be helped....
  • john walsh_2
    john walsh_2 Member Posts: 64
    the easy way around

bill do this ... turn down all Tstats but the basement the one that controlls your new zone, see if it gets hot.if it dosn't then it could be airlocked and you'll have to add a shut off valve (preferably a ball valve)just before the zone return goes into the return header and just above that a draincock. you'll shut the ballvalve, open the draincock ,feed the boiler and get the air out.When no more air comes out, close the draincock and open the ballvalve and with all of the other zones still off try it again . if it still dosen't get hot change your pump. this zone has loops, they can stop gravity flow where up stairs zones with even a little bit of water flow from the pump may heat up. if it does heat up but stops when the other zones are again calling for heat , then you may need to add a pump to your new zone it may be just easier for the water to travel in those other zones,you know the easy way around .If you do have to add a pump just make sure its on the same side of the boiler as the other pump supplying the other 6 zones and get rid of that zone valve.
This discussion has been closed.