Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU per foot of tubing

Mike Young_2
Mike Young_2 Member Posts: 1
Can someone please refresh my memory... How many BTU's can travel through 1/2", 3/4", and 1" copper tube if water temp is 180 degrees. Where can I find a table on this?

Comments

• Someone posted this not long ago, perhaps it fits the bill?

Dave
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    What Dave said :)

Use that chart and you won't go wrong. Be mindful though that output varied with not only entering water temp but also the actual temp drop you can achieve in that loop.
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Feet per Second?

Now can someone relate to me how gallons per minute translates to feet per second?

Only reason I ask is the German Polypropolene pipe the company I work for uses and I sometimes install offers EXCELLENT flow rates, much better than Copper for domestic water and heating, so much so that you can go from the traditional 4-5 feet per second to 8 feet per second for domestic water which really reduces the size of pipe you need.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    higher flow rates

can lead to erosion corrosion problems, especially at the fittings. Maybe the pipe is happy with higher velocity but ells and tees may not.

Depends too on the fluid, hard water, aggressive water can add to problems.

Oversized DHW recirc pumps are a common problem of pin holes and erosion problems in piping. Un-reamed tube makes the problem worse :)

There are guidelines and tables for sizing piping, both potable and hydronic applications.

A smoother interior walled tube may allow higher velicities, but don't forget the fittings.

hr

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    Pipe sizer program

this program allows you to modify the delta t, and other parameters like temperature, fluid, pipe material, etc to show the difference in BTU carrying capacity.

Notice in this example how a larger delta t allows 3/4 copper to carry 105,000 BTU/hr.

It's common in Europe to see panel radiators fed with @3/8 tube size, by running a larger delta t.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Plus the fact

That smaller tube means higher pressure to achieve a giving volume of flow regardless of whether you are talking hydronic or domestic plumbing. It's a tit for tat thing.
This discussion has been closed.