Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Winchester mystery house

rt_2
rt_2 Member Posts: 86
Check out the Amazing Facts link at the bottom of the home page.

http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/

RT

Comments

• Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395
    It was our 7th anaverssary this weekend

So we went to San Jose CA to see a show and also went to the Winchester mystery house. I have always wanted to see it but not bad enough to make the drive. I would have done it knowing what I know now. Really interesting story. The part I think would be appreciate here would be the Coal fired boiler that was only run twice. The on-crew cataloged the two times it was fire in the same month on a post next to the boiler. The house was under construction for about thirty years 24 hours a day. Apparently this is the only time the steam system was not open and being added to. Their are radiators along the wall under the floors and in ducts that start in the basement. Near the boiler are radiators that were never installed. They were intended for under the floor one of the ball rooms. In 1906 Ms. Winchester was trapped in a bedroom after the earthquake. She saw this as a sign that she spent too much money on the front half of the house and had it boarded up. That was the last time the steam system was worked with. The rest of the house construction continued but no boiler. She payed three dollars a day double the going rate at the time! All of the flat roof sections of the house were made of soldered sections of galvanized steel about 18"X12". I guess at three bucks a day you just do as you are told. I wish I had taken a camera I did find these pics of the boiler and the acetylene barrel for the gas lights. If you find yourself in the San Fransisco bay are take the tour.
  • Interesting pics Will

I`ve heard about that place/Lady but never saw-it (except on TV),,, thanks for sharing.

BTW-Happy Anniversary!

Dave
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    Been there.

It's well worth the trip. She was a world-class screwball.
    Retired and loving it.

• Screwball?... She can't be that bad...she had steam heating! :)
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395

Ya but she also had stairs to no where. Windows in the floor and doors to stairways that were 24" wide and 50" tall. She was short just under five feet I think. I however am 6'3" 265 lb. I felt like the scene in Willy Wonkas chocolate factory where they first go into the hall that gets smaller and smaller. That acetylene barrel was in a room under her bedroom. Not the best place I think but the only plans know of for the whole house are for one of the elevators.
  • Winchester House

She believed that if she kept on adding to the house, it would placate the ghosts of all the people killed by her husdand's inventions. Doors to nowhere, odd-ball windows, a weird randomness...you might think somebody built this place in the 60's on LSD!
This discussion has been closed.