Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning Copper Pipes

Rich Ferris
Rich Ferris Member Posts: 72
I've collected quite a few feet of copper pipe over the years on my install truck. The problem is that most of it is new pipe never used but is oxydized and discolored. What do you guys use that is fast and cheap to clean it. I'd like to use it on new installs but it looks like crap. Thanks for any tips oin this.

Rich

Comments

• Fine Metal Polishing

Steel wool works good. if you want it to stay shiny for longer use brasso after the steel wool.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • I agree with Bob

If you're working with short lengths like we do ( usually 3 ft or less ) , I'd install it first , then use some fine steel wool to bring back the new look . It happens to us too with lengths that sit on the bottom of the roof rack tube for a few months .
  • I always wanted

to try that Tarn-x. Looks good on tv on copper pennies and silverware. Next time im in lowes Ill pick some up and try it.
  • Ross_7
    Ross_7 Member Posts: 577
    Noxon 7

I use Noxon 7, works pretty well.
  • Brian R
    Brian R Member Posts: 18
    Lifelong scavenger - Pack Rat method

DIY'er here, but have been saving & using old copper long before it was valuable. I have a 10' piece of drainage pipe, which I cut in 1/2 legthtwise, except for the very ends, which have caps installed. This forms a long trough, which I can lay old copper pipe. I then pour in dilute muriatic acid (obtain from pool supply store), let sit for as long as it takes to clean up the copper. Remove the copper, rince off with a hose, (including inside) rub with some scotchbrite, and it's good as new. Dump a couple of boxes of baking soda in the acid trough to neutralize the acid, and rinse out. This is the easiest method I have found to re-use old oxidized copper. Naturally, ALWAYS done out doors, away from living things.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    ScotchBrite

pads work well also. Wet or dry. You can get them from coarse to fine. Use some dish soap and water with the pads if it's really darkened tube. The pads last longer and clean quicker with some "lube.'"

Brasso if you want a fine shine. I've yet to find any produce that will keep the shine very long. Even under clear laquer or enamel the shine dulls after awhile.

For fine copper art projects I finish with a 600 grit wet or dry paper before the Brasso.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • David DeFord_3
    David DeFord_3 Member Posts: 2
    Nevr-dull

Nevr-dull seems to work on just about anything. It's cotton wadding with some sort of polish in it. I would use it after the heavy corrosion is removed via one of the methods above
  • Rich Ferris
    Rich Ferris Member Posts: 72
    Tried the Tarn-X

I tried the Tarn-X today on a few pieces and it shined them up with a little help with a 3M scotchbrite type pad. Thanks for the tip.

Rich
This discussion has been closed.