Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

snowmelt underground parking area

Dave_132
Dave_132 Member Posts: 65
This is a question for ME. I have a building which has an extensive underground parking area with a fairly steep ramp going down into it. they have garage heating supplied to fan coils by a gylcol loop from the boiler room. Do you see any harm in tapping into this system and providing the means for snow melt in the ramp?I realize that it would have to be controlled just as any other slab would have to be i.e. injection, wwsd, moisture sensor etc. Please let me know. Also i wpuld appreciate if you gave me a call today. Thank's Mark

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Dave,

Lots of parameters to take into consideration.

First, what size of line serving the F.C.U.'s? THis is going to dictate either the square footage of the system, or the class of the system.

Second, what percentage of glycol? I typically go with a minimum of 30 to 40% glycol for Denver.

Thirdly, what kind of excess capacity do you think the boiler has to throw towards the snowmelt system?

Remember, the snowmelt slab will chew up EVERY btu that you can throw at it, possibly reducing the return water temperature, causing condensation issues at the heat source.

I typically load my SM's at 150 btu/square foot per hour. You can run less than that, but will need to let the system operators know that there will be times when snow will accumulate on the surfaces.

If you'd like additional help, give us the parameters. SM area, pipe size serving FCU, building size, boiler size etc.

Good to see you here on the Wall Dave.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.