Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valiant C.I. boiler?

Robert O'Brien
Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,556
this what you mean?
http://www.vaillant.com/

They only sold in the US for a few years in late 80's-early 90's
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    Valiant C.I. boiler?

Has anyone used or heard of this brand before? I can't find anything about it good or bad. Thanks
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    Vaillant

I use a Vaillant oil fired boiler as a cold start with a Riello M5 burner. Installed in 1991. Still looks/works good.

Mike

• Leo_31
    Leo_31 Member Posts: 2
    There's a reason

There's a reason they aren't around here any more. My limited experience with them, few run well. The Riello seems
    to work best in them.

Leo
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    one of the top 3 boilers

in Germany, with a product line similar to Buderus or Viessmann. They had some distribution here years ago.

I suspect many of the failures (leaks) were due to the non barrier and no return protection radiant systems they were connected to back in the early days.

They did, and maybe still do, have an office here in NJ to cover any warranties on the boilers.

They have brought some solar components in the the U S market and hinted at bringing in boilers and heat pumps. Maybe not in this slow market condition, however.

hr

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Valliant

Was glad to see them disappear. They were terrible boilers. peace
  • One of the better

boilers in my experience although I didn't work on that many. Honeywell controls, quality cast iron sections and a cute bunny rabbit for a logo. And like others have said, they didn't stay around for long.
  • Bryan_16
    Bryan_16 Member Posts: 262
    I'm with you

Never could get them to run very clean. Mine all have beckett afg or blue angel burners.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Sold

More than a few of them, worked well on conventional BB/radiator systems...that's where the U.S. mfr.'s finally got the idea to make a swing-out combustion chamber door. Weak spot was the target wall.
  • Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    great info

Great info! I always know I can count on you guys.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Not a bad boiler

Seems they ran into a saturated market. If you do a search of them you will find a very advanced company that is well respected in Europe
  • Maine Ken_6
    Maine Ken_6 Member Posts: 3

To all those that seem to like the Valliant; why?

Is it ease of service? Not by a long shot. (unless you are not the ones doing the servicing)

Is it the ease of combustion set-up? Again, not by a long shot. Every time you touch it you have to search and search for the sweet spot again.

Is it combustion effeciency?

Is it because it is European?

I have a real hard time finding anything that I like about this boiler. I also come from the service end of things and not just the install side.
  • sootking
    sootking Member Posts: 1
    vaillant boilers

good boiler for upper midwest.rumor has it that the price was the demise,parts still awailable.hardto set up if notmaintained.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,980
    I've...

got a lot of the gas fired units still out there with few problems.

The indirects need an anode rod by now...but the boilers still run like the day they were installed. I guess it depends. Chris
  • EdyLogicMstr.
    EdyLogicMstr. Member Posts: 58
    owned one now 24 years

I was the recipient of a 3 section 60,000 btu Vaillant boiler in 1985 when my new modular house was delivered to me in CT. It originally came with a Wayne HS "blue angel" oil burner that I replaced with a Riello Mectron 3M in 1988. As an hvac technician I maintain the boiler annually and am completely satisfied with the performance of this german made boiler. Over the years I have had to change the gasket on the tankless coil and replace the original Grundfoss circ. pump. Other than annual maintenance that's been it. Several years ago I added a Vaughn 35 gallon indirect to it (the tankless coil is small in the 3 section but still always provided adequate hot water if a flow restrictor was in place) and it provides an abundance of hot water for my use (by the way Vaughn recommends a 150,000 btu output boiler for all their indirect tanks and I am doing it with my 60,000 btu Vaillant). The boiler continues to operate efficiently heating approx. 1500 sq. feet and is totally dependable. I believe that as is the case with anything, how one takes care of something is the key to longevity and performance.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Ease of service, Ken?

They are a heckuva lot easier than the Arab oil embargo era Weil McLain's..ask me how I know!
    And yes, they were a little persnickity to set up, but all of them are with a borderline chimney...

• Worked on several over the years. Had Beckett AFII burners on them. I never had many problems with them myself. I was sad to see them go. Never seemed to have the issues the other guys did.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,883
    Hey Alan

I tried to e-mail you and it bounced back.

Give me an e-mail, I'd like to catch up. Its been along time since I heard from you.

I still get lobsters :)

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    some unique features

The first boiler I had seen with a T&P gauge that went into a well to allow replacement without draining or reducing the pressure.

The jacket had a hinged door to easily service the front.

Gas fired models had a piezo sparker to light the pilot, no matches required.

They had an integral motorized vent damper that was a bit of a problem.

I liked the green color, much nicer than battleship grey or boring biege.

The indirects were great. Large smooth coils would handle plenty BTUs, huge hand hole to see and clean inside the tank. The easily outlasted the early leak prone stainless tanks, in my area.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Cosmo_3
    Cosmo_3 Member Posts: 845
    I take care of 3 of them

Other than the pain of all the topside cleaning access covers, these boilers are not all that bad to service.

As far as tuning goes, never had a problem getting it dialed in.
This discussion has been closed.