Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Forced Hot Air by oil with power vent keeps locking out

Sissy
Sissy Member Posts: 31
call your oil guy, sounds like the burner isn't igniting properly. could be dozens of reasons why.

Comments

• Steve_207
    Steve_207 Member Posts: 1
    Hot Air System lock out

I have a forced hot air system with a fields power vent. The system locks out, creates a lousy smell, and then blows cold air. If I reset it, it might last for a day or two and then locks out again. I changed the honeywell control and even the thermostat. The power vent is new--the problem began a few weeks after the power vent was changed. Any ideas? My plumber is stumped.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

Sounds like issue with power venter. If you are getting smell after it shuts off, sounds like it is not post purging enough and is locking out when power venter doesn't start.
  • Mike C._4
    Mike C._4 Member Posts: 56
    lock out problem

I have a SWG5 power vent on my boiler. If the power vent starts on call for heat, check the draft proving switch to be sure it closes. You can use a multimeter for that. I doubt the spill switch is the problem. If the draft switch closes then the burner should go and try to ignite. If not, have the burner ignitor checked. If the unit ran for two weeks then I doubt the power vent had much to do with it. I would guess you have the electronic control that gives a minimum 3 minute post purge shut down-that should be enough. Sounds like the burner is trying to fire-just not igniting, thus the smell. Don't keep pushing the reset button-please get it checked by a burner guy.
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 612
    Which.....

primary control are you using?
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    powervent

First thing, why are you having a plumber do your oil work? Second, did he adjust the breech/overfire draft? Those come with the baffle wide open. Third, post purge. CK 61 or 62? Is the fan proven switch wired in properly? Fan proven tube connected tightly and clear? Seperate line voltage for the power vent beside B-1? Sounds like you need someone who knows oil and venting systems. These systems are not complicated. peace
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

what "plumber" did the work does this "plumber" have equipment to set-up your burner correctly did you get an efficiency report -or printout from the digital analyzer ---did he change the oil filters ,pump strainer, nozzle --check vacuum on the oil line????
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

. The power vent is new--the

> problem began a few weeks after the power vent

> was changed. Any ideas? My plumber is stumped.

if it worked fine for weeks it very well could be something besides the power venter --i wouldn't blame the plumber
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    stumped

May and may not be related to plumber's work. Either way, he shouldn't be stumped, and should have an answer whether it's burner and or power vent related. If he's that easily stumped, than get a qualified oil tech asap. peace
  • WeeJee
    WeeJee Member Posts: 2
    Anyone test the ignitor yet ?

That would be #1 on my list when faced with random lockouts if everything else tests out alright.
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185

I'd like to know why the power venter was replaced?

Is it possible it was never the real culprit.

Seen this all too many times.
This discussion has been closed.