Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mod con gravity conversion

Options
Dave_132
Dave_132 Member Posts: 64
I just completed a gravity conversion to forced circulation in a 90 year old home. Installed a Lochinvar Knight with primary/secondary piping, a squire indirect water heater and all pumps with internal flow checks. I also installed strainers on the return piping in order to stop any foreign matter from hitting the new pumps and I installed a strainer on the inlet to the boiler. The passage ways are so small that junk from the old piping could damage the boiler as well.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Robby
    Robby Member Posts: 5
    Options
    mod con gravity conversion

I've been asked to give a bid to replace a coal converted water boiler to a mod con. Any tips for piping i presume a primary secondary. The radiators are all large cast iron (gravity setup). Thanks Robby
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    strainers for sure

Robby which ever mod con you use i would recommend a strainer and also use a low head pump other wise you may end up with alot of over heating due too to muh flow (b&g 100)You could also ease up your primary seondary piping by using a hydro seperator califee and b&g have some nice ones and for the extra ost it makes piping a bit quiker and easier with alot less pipe distances to take into account for peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.