Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

strange steamer...

kpc_73
kpc_73 Member Posts: 26
at a steam boiler replacement this afternoon. The boiler was a original Weil/ Mclain coal steamer converted to oil that had 380 sq. ft. of steam....about 1946 install.
I looked at the radiation and it had some CI baseboard that had been added some time later. It had some long runs 13 and 17 feet and hada set up of swing checks to keep the steam going in the right direction...This was added to the house w/ an addition sometime in the 50's. Seems to have worked for a while w/o much issue. Here is the really strange thing. The connected load is 489 sq. ft... Piping in the basement is not insulated... And it heats ok...
What does this say about the IBR calcs...Do I go by the connected load or play w/ it a bit and "downsize"?

Comments

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    connected load

Is the baseboard in the basement on a aux. loop ? or part of house load w/ two pipe supply & return piping.
  • kpc_73
    kpc_73 Member Posts: 26
    Baseboard....

is steam...all tied into the main headers.
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 64
    actual oil output?

getting higher output (SF) from oil than it originally did from coal, were the coal ratings were conservative, for variation in fire quality?

EDR is lower than you think -- metallic painted radiators, slow venting (rads and mains) so radiators don't fully heat, but still exceed structure losses, error in radiator table for radiator/convector type, etc.?

What's the current oil firing rate and combustion efficiency while steaming, this would give actual gross output.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    the standard sizing methodology

is going to work 100% of the time in 100% of the situations..so that does imply some degree of oversizing..there are numerous instances where the IBR method oversizes..but i'd size to the IBR and install stage firing controls.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.