Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless coil

Jack_33
Jack_33 Member Posts: 19
We presently have an old oil fired boiler(60 years), one pipe steam heat system and are planning on a replacement this spring.

Our small cape does not presently have heat in the upstairs bedrooms. We wish to stay with steam heat (I like it) and yet provide heat to the second floor bedrooms (ruling out floor vents).

I am looking into the option of the tankless coils on the heating boiler used to supply forced hot water as a seperate zone and hard pipe to the bedrooms upstairs.

Is this a feasible option ?? I am concerned about using pex tubing to accomplish the same thing.

What steam boiler would be a better choice to accomplish this?

Comments

• Heating with tankless

Sure it is a viable option, I have done this a few times. You will lose your tankless option for hot water. You could put an indirect water heater off the steam boiler for your domestic hot water and the tankless for your upstairs-assuming that the heatloss of the upstairs isn't greater than the output of the tankless. That is up to your contractor. Best of luck. Dave
  • Many oil fired steam boilers

have a tankless coil option . We use Peerless and Burnham . Using the coil for hot water zones is the best option with a steam boiler , in my opinion .
  • You Can Also

Take a forced hot water loop off the bottom of your steam boiler, below the water line.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.