Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Snow melt boiler

kpc_74
kpc_74 Member Posts: 14
for much...are you. One boiler vented in PVC won't happen. The KN series Hydro Therm (#20) might but it would be 9" Cat 4...80' venting. 5 to 1 turndown. Very small foot print.
Otherwise you are looking at a series on 399 K btu boilers (Wm-ultra or a TT prestige)... kpc

Comments

• Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh Member Posts: 184
    Snow melt boiler - big one!

I need to select a mod/con boiler that will handle a 10,000 sq ft area for snow melt (approx 1,500,000 btuh). To complicate matters, the flue must be PVC and be run underground for 80 feet before surfacing in a landscaped area. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh

kpc, I have found a boiler line Aerco Modulex that will work with PVC venting, but it will require two of them to do the job. I am hunting for one unit that might fill the bill. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated.
  • Phil Burkhart
    Phil Burkhart Member Posts: 6

Raypak X-Therm H7-1505 is 97% Efficient with an input of 1500 MBH. Use option D-32 for PVC Venting. It can also be installed Outdoor if that would help.
    I am not sure about 80' of underground venting. You would have to be able to drain the condensate from the pipe.
    You can call Raypak Applications for more information. 800-947-2975.
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Vito

How about a Viessmann Vitocrossal? No PVC venting, but a boiler of this caliber is warranted with that much snowmelt.
  • troy_8
    troy_8 Member Posts: 109
    Fulton boiler

Makes a condensing boiler and I think they have a design for an underground exhaust. I can't remember how it works but they are in Fulton NY.
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh

Thanks guys! That is a couple of good leads for me to follow up on. I appreciate your iput.
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422

Im curious what the price of one 1 or 2 large boilers as opposed to several boilers.

IBC Boilers offer up to 240' of exhaust run and 240' of intake run and they don't have to be equal, but the biggest IBC Boiler is a 45-225 (Modulates from 45,000 to 225,000 BTUH), but these boilers DO have built in controls with a digital display and if you installed 7 of them your snow melt system would modulate from 45,000 BTUH to 1,575,000 BTUH as the built in controls are designed to interlink with other IBC boilers so they are staged/rotated for equal run time and so they work together. Going with at least 2 boilers offers you redundancy, and with at least 2 small boilers you can run cheaper pumps, again more redundancy if one of them fails.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.