Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitodens 100 - WB1A 8-24 N/G

Options
SpeyFitter
SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
Anyone have anything to say about this boiler in comparison to it's bigger brother the 200? I know it's "stripped down," but aside from what what are it's benefits and pitfalls, considering it's less than half the price of the 200? What does the 200 have that the 100 doesn't, essentially. I know the differences, burners (cylinder burner versus matrix burner), same heat exchanger. The Comparable Vitodens 200 model does have a slightly better modulation ratio (25,000 to 91,000 compared to 29,000 to 80,000 for the 100 model), but they both have similar efficiencies.

This application for this boiler will be heating 5-6 loops of staple up radiant floor, and an indirect 40 Gallon S/S HWT.

And YES going to the Viessmann Academy sessions is on the list. I have experience installing IBC Condensing, Modulating boilers, but I definately have plans to learn more about the Viessmanns as time goes on, and my house will be the starting point me thinks.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    You

get the incomparable Viessmann HX at a very reasonable price.Along with the TT Prestige, a best buy in mod/cons IMO
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Options
    Vito 100 Features

Viessmann's boilers are extremely well made, but I really believe the 100 is too stripped down. The lack of included outdoor reset control is a major pitfall. 3:1 turndown is a little low too. It cannot be installed above 5,000ft elevation, so it is not even an option here. Lack of option for propane is annoying. In very specific situations, this would be a good boiler.

This price range is better filled by the Triangle Tube Prestige, in my opinion.
  • SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Options

The Turndown ratio is a little weak as I know of 10 to 1 boilers (e.g. IBC 15-150 which is a little big and pricey for my house and I'd probably go with the Vitodens 200 if I was in that price range), BUT the factory Viessmann outdoor reset sensor is chump change to add, seeing as how I'll need some external controls to suit my heating application anyways.

I'm more interested in the quality of this unit in all honesty.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Leo G_103
    Leo G_103 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Scott, this boiler

has been my main mod/con boiler for the past 2 years. I really like it! Simple, but robust. One big thing to know though, is when connecting the exhaust vent to the machine, be diligent, as the plastic to metal connection is joined by a gasket. I have seen this gasket get hooped, by the installer not lining up his vent pipe correctly. Was flooding the home with CO. Otherwise, 2 thumbs way up!

Leo G

PS - pic of the messed up transition point, the hi temp silicone was added as a temp measure to stop the CO until we could properly fix the situation.
  • Bob Knebel
    Bob Knebel Member Posts: 26
    Options

Hi Andrew ..... FYI .... The 100 will be modified soon to go up to 10K elevation and will have the propane option. I understand the "price point' will also be more competitive. May be available this summer / fall.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    100 v 200

The 100 requires the low loss header when adding the 2nd circuit or indirect dhwtank. If you chose the 200, you get the increased features with Matrix burner/OD reset and wouldn't need the low loss header to do your stated staple up load (under 7gpm) and the dhwtank. that would make the 200 a bit more appealing.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rudnae
    Rudnae Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Are you sure?

What about the need for the vitodens 200 to maintain a constant temperature via the sensor in the low loss header. This would be the first time I have heard of installing the Vitodens 200 without a low loss header. They definately do not recommend this at the factory training. I would double check that...
  • Leo G_103
    Leo G_103 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Gary, not

burned, rusted. The leak through the vent gasket was bad. It was dripping inside the cabinet. We replaced all the venting parts from the metal connection, right to a new vent termination point, as the original 2" vent was installed with the wrong material also.

Leo G
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Options
    Elevation

Thanks, Bob! I had not heard that Viessmann was updating the 100. That should open up a large market for them in the mountain areas.
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Options
    P/S

They recommend primary/secondary piping for the people who are not familiar with accurate head loss calculations or system design that minimizes head loss. If they didn't recommend p/s in every case, they would have complaints from people who improperly installed their boilers and had flow problems.

The trick is to ensure proper flow through the boiler at all times with a differential pressure bypass valve or continuously circulating zone on indoor reset.

There is nothing wrong with using the LLH, but if it is not necessary, it is just extra expense.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Vito 100

The Vitodens 100 does not have the internal pump, nor direct connections for an indirect DHWTank, The Vitodens 200 does. Hydraulic separation is needed when adding a 2nd circuit or indirect tank. Closely spaced can be used, but the LLH provides additional features over P/S. You can review the piping schematics on the Viessmann website:

http://www.viessmann-us.com/etc/medialib/internet-ca/pdfs/wall-mount.Par.94092.File.dat/Vitodens_100_TDM.pdf

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.