Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Meghan in Senegal (Dan H.)

Options
Jim Bennett
Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
I have been having a good time reading Meghan's blog from Africa. Extremely interesting read.

Looks like she will be home soon!

You should be very proud of her!

I can hardly wait till her next adventure.

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,538
    Options
    Our daughter, Meghan,

left for Senegal yesterday and will be there for the next 10 weeks, working with the United Nations Population Fund. If you'd like to follow her adventures in Africa, subscribe to her BLOG

Marianne and I have some very cool daughters. :-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    sooooo, lets see,,

dad gets no sleep for 10 weeks worrying about daughters safety..does that sum it up? ahhh, more gray hairs..hehe..seriously, i hope she has fun and returns safely with lots of stories...your kids are regular globetrotters!!
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Meg

spent more than a year teaching school in rural Costa Rica, so this seems more like a vacation to us.

Senegal is a relatively stable place. She's doing important work and I'm very proud of her. Thanks for the good wishes!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Africa

what a wonderful place I can't wait to go back.She will really enjoy herself and findit quite rewarding.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I went to look

at my 1994 visit to Africa as I was not sure I went to Senegal, I find I did I was in Mali and crossed over into the towns of Naye and Matam with New Life International Christian Center which also has a head quarters in Dakar.It was very warm when I was there and we were very well received by the people. This is a mostly Muslim country but they are very receptive to everyone and I enjoyed a total of four days there in the two towns. It looks like Meg is in the south of that country which is very wet I believe.

My trip that year also brought me to Zimbabwe, South Africa and Mozambique all in the south of Africa.

Africa is a wonderful place.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    She'll be out in the county

after spending two weeks in Dakar. Not sure where yet. She'll be doing research for the U.N. on AIDS.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    This is Meghan

on the right, with her sister, Colleen. Happy young women. :-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options

Retired and loving it.
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2
    Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2 Member Posts: 377
    Options
    They're all

doing you both proud. It's been fun seeing them grow up into outstanding members of society.
  • Unknown
    Options
    A very worthy study

as AIDS kills thousands every day in Africa. There are millions of orphans all over Africa becasue of the AIDS epidemic. Many times unfriendly circumstances in some African countries prevents medication from reaching those who need it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Most of the young people

believe that AIDS comes from mosquitoes.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options

"Most of the young people

believe that AIDS comes from mosquitoes."

Ignorance is not bliss!
    She's doing great work!You should be very proud!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I am.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

I’ll have Meghan on my prayer calendar for the next 10 weeks. You sure do have some awesome daughters! :)

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Unknown
    Options
    Another interesting book

and point of view on the subject is titled "Dead Aid' by Dambisa Moyo. Didnt have time to finish it( only allow myself 2 cups of coffee at borders in the morning) But Im sure you would find it interesting. Goes into all those sticky true things no one wants to hear. The Author is an exceptionally talented and educated African woman.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    I'm familiar with that book.

Very interesting. Another (and a very disturbing one) is, "We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda" by Philip Gourevitch.

So many books, so little time.
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    New blog post today.

Funny stuff!
    Retired and loving it.
  • s.teermjen2574372
    s.teermjen2574372 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Congratulations on good kids

Dan, You have to be proud of such fine kids! I think they got a lot from home.
    I have been addicted to your site here for years now. The spirit of mutual help to both professional and student of the trade found here speaks volumes.
    Coincidentally, my good spouse and I just returned from Johannesburg and Capetown and the South African coast , after seeing to the wedding there of our Shannon, who found a 4th generation German South African fellow to her ( and our) liking. Nice family. Beautiful country. Tough social problems.
    Shannon has done a year in Slovakia, and also Bolivia, 4 in Brazil, and 5 in South Africa. Writes, etc. for a charity, and is a bit of a mystic. But Dan, her clever younger sister Meghan headed straight to the science corridor which you know is Boston, teaches High School physics, and , of course, met Mr. Wonderful designing chips. Sean and Colleen are doing cool stuff here in Minnesota.
    Hmm, we saw a fresh lion kill [ an exploded ostrich] and then 30 yards away a fat cub sitting next to the resting lioness, herself with blood on her muzzle. Twenty one elephants blocking the narrow road. We waited them out. Seven giraffes all staring fixedly at the same point of the compass...where at 600 yards distance lay a cheetah and two cubs. An irritated rhino with a month old offspring bursting into amazing acceleration to frighten back last years offspring from getting too close. And the sea pounding on the southernmost point of Africa. Good stuff. joe walbran
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks, Joe.

Ain't life grand? :-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Yes,

she'll be home tomorrow morning. Can't wait!
    Retired and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.