Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aluminized steel chimney liner for oil boiler

Options
jeanRR
jeanRR Member Posts: 37
I need to have my chimney relined. I am looking to replace my leaking Weil-McLain boiler with a Burnham MPO. Can you use an aluminized steel chimney liner for an oil-fired hot water boiler? The CSIA says no, but a bidder (with 37 yrs experience) to replace my oil boiler insists you can use aluminum and says it will cost me about half what stainless steel would. Someone at Burnham also told me you have to use stainless steel. Any opinions on this point?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Stainless

or direct vent, but stainless stainless
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    oil liners

The liner must be suitable for the class of service. There are no aluminum liners listed for use with oil. There are no listed aluminized steel liners on the market. There are stainless steel liners that cannot take the corrosion of oil. Some stainless liners will state a lifetime warranty for wood or Cat. I gas but only 10-15 yrs for oil or coal.

I suggest your bidder has been doing questionable work for 37 yrs. He ought to buy a copy of the code and read it.

Get a type 316Ti stainless steel liner with a transferrable lifetime warranty from a chimney pro. Make sure it is sized properly, esp. with an MPO.
    The International Assn. of Fireplace and Chimney Inspectors concurs with the CSIA position in this matter.
    Hth
This discussion has been closed.