Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sawsall and an old fuel oil tank

Options
Oil companies cut them up all the time to get them out with a sawzall

Have lots of absorbant towels for the oil and sludge on hand.

Your problem will be getting rid of the remnants and rags.

Comments

• Stray_2
    Stray_2 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    sawsall and an old fuel oil tank

So I ran my fuel oil tank completely dry, in prep to swap boilers and move to propoane (TT Prestige 110).

My plan was to cut the fill and vent pipes tonight, so I can line up some muscle to help me get the thing out of the house.

Any reason to be scared of getting the sawsall out re: potential to create sparks around the oil residue in the tank and fill/vent pipes? I know fuel oil doesn't burn as easily as gasoline, but it makes me wonder...
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    tank

I remember cutting a buried tank in half w/a zawzall, keep in mind when you are about to complete the cut it will expand or pop out,(it scared the crap out of me) nothing to be afraid of just keep it in mind,if it is on legs it might be a better idea to get it down to the ground first, and buy good quality zawzall blades
  • Unknown
    Options
    Risky

When you cut a enclosed vessel and create open spark it is always risky. The oil needs to vaporize in order to ignite and it is possible to do so with a saw blade. I have heard stories of them flashing and I use to cut them that way myself. I now use a 10 gauge nibbler and it cuts them without spark in about 1 minute. They are quite expensive to buy but maybe a local tool rental has one.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    tank

Be sure to fully remove both fill and vent pipes from the outside. This is how basements get filled with oil. Also depending on the state you are in, you need a licensed oil tech to pull the removal/abandon permit. Oil to propane not cost effective here. JMO. Best to have a tank removal company take it away, gives you a paper trail, and alot less mess. peace
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Nibbler

Sounds like a great tool and the way to go
  • targetman
    targetman Member Posts: 105
    Options

I'll second that oil to propane is not cost effective.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Options
    Righty Tighty

Lefty loosey. why not just unthread the fill and vent piping. An empty tank is more apt to have fumes than a full tank.
  • Stray
    Stray Member Posts: 29
    Options

Thanks, but I'm just cutting the fill and vent pipes (not the tank in half).
  • Stray
    Options

understood about the cost effective thing...but there are other reasons such as the existing boiler being in a louvered closet in a hallway 10' from my kids bedroom. (noise concerns, CO concerns, general stinkyness...).

I'm hoping that moving from an 82%-ish boiler to a 92-95% modulating boiler, w/ outdoor reset, etc... that it helps ease the pain of the propane costs. In the end, the quality of life issues are worth it to me regardless.
  • Stray
    Options

Perhaps that would have been smarter... but the pipes were rather convoluted nd tough to reach under a porch addition that had been put in after the fact.

I grabbed the sawsall just now, and didn't look back. The empty tank is now in the garage, awaiting a person who wants to collect it to turn it into a pig roaster...

Thanks, one and all, for your thoughts.
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    You can do it!

I have cut up many a tank with every thing from a sawzall through an angle grinder and a torch(i think I even beat them to death with a sledge hammer in the early days).Although as a legal disclaimer I must say "Don't try this at home as I am a trained professional". In my area you have to cut it open and clean it out completly for the scrap yards to take it and you have to dispose of the rags,kitty litter,paper towels,etc. properly!!! And it is very important that the openings are sealed as soon as the tank is out of service to avoid a big mess. I put up signs where the fill was " DO NOT DELEIVER OIL NO OIL TANK " and leave them up as long as they stay up.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    System 2000

With outside air intake. Will probably be just as quiet, and can near the 90% mark, and less operating cost. I'd be more concerned with CO with gas than oil personally. You will gain some room with no oil tank, but nothing is as safe as oil heat. Just watch the news, another gas related house exsposion in NH, along with many others this fall and winter. Wish you luck and safety. peace
  • steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Just because your putting in a 92-95% ModCon doesn't mean you'll get that kind of efficiency.

Unless your over radianted, have cast iron , or radiant floors, you might be in for a whopper fuel bill.( seen this happening)

I'm sure it has also been explained to you, that these units need to be serviced on a regular basis and are not plug and play!

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from your decision. just making sure you understand the ramifications of the switch.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Options

I always cut them with a sawzall. I take it outside and stand it on end so everything drops down to the lower end. I leave it for a couple of days, then cut. I dump in cat litter, enough to absorb any liquid that might remain, then use rags and clean cat litter to wipe off the tank surface. Garbage man will take the litter as long as there's no liquid. My scrap man hauls it to the scrap yard.
This discussion has been closed.