Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Choosing HVAC for Energy Star modular home w/gas- suggestions?

Options
JLytel
JLytel Member Posts: 1
Would like to hear suggestions on selecting HVAC system for new Energy Star modular house w/gas. We're interested in green alternatives but geothermal is too pricey; we like radiant but also need AC. Ideas welcome, thanks.

Comments

• kpc_73
    kpc_73 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    If it were...

my home I would go w/ a condensing gas boiler... Stainless steel type ( Embassy Onex or Triangle tube) Then either go w/ panel rads or Hot water baseboard sized to run off of low water temps at design temps.. say 140- 160F.
    Radiant would be good in the bath aresa just as floor warmig... kpc
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Mod/con for sure

If you're having a basement, radiant floor for sure. Main floor is always a problem for me if you need A/C. After living with infloor on the main floor I could never recommend a fan coil unit (might as well have a furnace) but you need the duct work for the A/C. Energy star home will need a ventilation systen (HRV/ERV) but the ones I've seen wouldn't work with air. Someone will probably tell you of a good unit that has ventilation and A/C capabilities. For comfort you want infloor.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mod con w/ mini split hp

Low temp radiant system for sure , the lower the temp the better. Mod con boiler and for the a/c I would use a heat pump mini split. The heat pumps are very efficient at warmer temps and are great to take the chill out in early spring and late fall. On the a/c side they offer many benefits such as dehumidify mode, zoning, remote control. Higher end units like samsung look like black mirrors and LG has one that is a picture frame, cant even tell its an a/c. Even the lower end units like NCP or Chigo are very efficient and work great.
  • Darin Cook_9
    Darin Cook_9 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Spot On

Tony is right on the money. Your operating costs will be VERY low, which is where the real savings are in a system.

Darin
  • I second that.....

eliminating ductwork (or most of it) eliminates a major air leakage path for typical homes. In a fire situation, it also eliminates a path for smoke through a home. Typically stud and joist spaces are used for return air in my area, so with each return air opening in the firerated drywalland the removal of the firestopping at each floor level, the fire integrity of the home is greatly compromised.

Boilerpro

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• steve_29
    steve_29 Member Posts: 185
    Options

Tony x3
This discussion has been closed.