Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you size a circulator pump?

nugs
nugs Member Posts: 77
Here's another great resource for you. download the software there.

www.taco-hvac.com

It's free, it's amazing, it works

Comments

• Paul MacDougall
    Paul MacDougall Member Posts: 36
    How do you size a circulator pump?

I have read books, articles, chicken scratch from guys at the supply house, discussed in length with my Dad, but I cannot seem to grasp how to size a circulator?
  • Heather_5
    Heather_5 Member Posts: 39
    Where does your

..confusion lie? What part of the process has you perplexed??
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    pumps

Also check out, B&G'S "Zoning Made Easy" and Taco's Radiant made easy application Guides, TD09 "Understanding Pump Curves" and TD10 "Selecting Circulators" I dont have a scanner to attatch these documents, just google them and they should come up
  • Paul MacDougall
    Paul MacDougall Member Posts: 36

Thanks guys. I will look into that material tonight. I think we have most of that Taco info at the shop. I have been trying to setup a basic pump sizing scenario to practice with, but the gpm, flow, head, and btus gets lost in translation from the page i'm reading it from to the worksheet i'm doing the math on.
  • S Ebels_2
    S Ebels_2 Member Posts: 74
    What type of application

Are you sizing a zone pump or a system pump?

In a nut shell. You have to know the btu load on the circuit or system. From that you can determine how many gpm you need to supply it. After finding the gpm you can look at the piping in the system or zone and determine the head loss. From there it's just a matter of selecting a circ that will do the gpm @ the developed head.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Another thing to consider

is whether you're pumping into an old gravity system. It's way too easy to over-pump these. Go here for more:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=125

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.