Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam radiator

I have a steam radiator that spits about 1 gal. of water out in 24 hours. Header is 14 in. from high point of site glass. Mane is pitched away from boiler. Have no way of knowing what old boiler did. I replaced boiler when i bought house.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    spitting steam rad

is this a 1-pipe steam system, with the water coming out the air vent? what is the make and model of the boiler? do you know if the steam piping is as required by the mfg's installation manual? is your pressure above 16 oz.? is the water in the sight-glass dirty [was the boiler skimmed after installation]? why not post some pictures of the near boiler piping so the experts here can give an opinion? i also suggest that you get a copy here of the "lost art of steam heating" so that when you talk to your installer [what does he say anyway?] about these problems, you will be more informed.

when properly installed, steam heat is quiet, even, comfortable, and economical.--nbc
  • nbc

Nbc beats me to it again.. Every words he said is true...

• Peter: As NBC mentioned we really need more information before we can try to help you. Pictures of the piping close to the boiler and replys to NBC's questions will help a lot.

- Rod
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Header

only 14 in from top of sight glass sounds low! Also steam pressure may be too high too, not to mention a host of other possibilities. Pictures?
This discussion has been closed.