Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The biggest radiator...

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
The engine hoist idea is great! I lifted half at a time into my truck. It is a stock ranger (you saw it) but I snapped a leaf spring and had it rated for 1/2 ton when it was repaired. The crane works great for the 'smaller' lifts, but those rads are way too big for the crane, even when welded to the bed & braced to the frame....

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

So what is the biggest radiator you guys have ever moved? I got these two beauties for free this past week, both 20 sections & 4 columns. The ornate one is just over 2 feet tall and the big dog is over 3 feet tall. Made a mess of my bed because the crane bent the side wall & bed. Any idea as to weights? I guess 1500+ on the big one.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    At least

a ton and a half, possibly more. Those 4-column rads are HEAVY........

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wethead7
    Wethead7 Member Posts: 170
    large rad

The largest I played with was 66 sections. 4 columns and ornate. Used a engine hoist to lift it so the floor could be repaired and correct a out of level issue. It was almost 44 inches tall and on the second floor.
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

Tim, The center secions weigh 56# and the leg sections weigh 59#. That is 1126#. What do you got, a 1/2 ton truck?

For radiators that big, we put them up on skate boards and ramp them into the truck. An eletric winch makes it much easier and is mounted inside the truck up at the front of the box.

I used to use an engine hoist to lift them and back my truck in under them. Ramping is much eaiser.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Dave, do you remember mine?

Dave S....the one you relocated in my house was 4 column, 20 sections..about like the one in your picture...but only 18" high. I moved it outside when the floor was being done and refinished it. It was a bear to re-install by myself. I used two movers 4-wheelers and two sissor jacks. Almost lost it once as I was lowering it into place. Getting the jacks out from underneith and the valve lined up was a challenge!

Jon J, Denver
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
    Guess I'am getting old

I cringe on the thought of moving one in one piece ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Four Column Lowboy

Had to get it out of the second floor stair landing. Four column about 24"X eight or ten feet long. Finished stairs and first floor entry. Eight guys (yeah we commandeered every trade on the job). Slid some steel flat stock between the sections ( 1/2" pipe wouldn't fit), picked that sucker up, carried it down the stairs and out to the truck.

Learned that trick back in the ironwork days carrying a 28ft long I beam up a marble staircase for a second floor office buildout in a historic hi-rise. We looked at that thing quite some time, weighing all rigging and hoisting options considering possible damage to historic marble stair and railings, mosaic tile, and brass in that historic three story entry. The old timer boss showed up and told us to quit screwing around, gather enough men, and carry that sucker up the stair. The architect showed up later as we were welding it in place and asked me how we got it up there. "Carried up the stairs" I told him. He looked around, laughed and said "Yeah right, you removed one of these windows and craned it in from the street". I just dropped my hood and went back to welding.

Put enough guys on it and even two tons seems light.

After explaining that whole I beam thing I figure I'd include a pic of the lobby of that building. It was in the late 70's when the work ocurred. It's the Marquette Building, 140 S. Dearborn, Chicago at the beginning of the old historic hi-rise reniassance. The mosaics btw. the floors of the elevator lobby depict explorers Marquette and Joliet and the northern Illinois indian tribes. You can understand our reluctance to hoist a beam in there with our roustabout lifting rig. The pic is the only one I found with the marble staircase shown. Google some others, it's an awesome bldg.
This discussion has been closed.