Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Massachusetts Oil Regs

Can I use a flexible oil line on a boiler that has a swing out door? The Utica Boiler comes with the flexible hose connector. Do I just put the fireomatic on the gun and the flexible hose on that?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
    Fire-O-Matic Safety

Not sure about Mass codes . But you want to add a fire-o-matic before a device that can be compromised by a flame .(Rubber gaskets, rubber hoses,seals and o-rings ) I would install one before the flex hose leading to the burner and one before the filter at the tank ....

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• MA. oil regs

Standard practice, I install thermal safety valve on oil pump, then attach flex line.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Mass reg

Where is the conversion from copper to flex hose Bob? Are you using a tiger loop? It should be either end of the flex hose to cover all bases. If you are coupling in the hose, use an inline with flare fittings, if tiger loop, use one on the inlet. Can never have enough shut offs. peace
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Bob may be too late for my reply but it goes on the tank side of the flex supply. I sometimes put the filter on the side of the boiler to save clearing space at the oil tank every year after it is cluttered by home owner.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Big Ed_4
    Most installers

Place filters at the burner for ease of changing cartradge. But water breeds sludge and having no filter at the tank water would lay in the oil line.. Sludge would be produced in the oil line and plug the line. Better to install at tank and use the filter as a water seperator. Installing the tank raise it up by making 12" legs and pitch it to the Fire-0-matic valve and filter.

I install a spin on filter at the burner with a fire-0-matic then the flex line to the burner... The spin on is about the same microns as the star type cartage. But no sludge will pass it. I like to use them anyway wit small input boilers.

Setting a fuel supply this way and changing the filter at the tank your sludge problems are over. And prevents tanks from rotting from the inside out.

Hope this helps...

• Big Ed_4
    Like to add

When you have a layer of water and oil a bug or algie lives between the two. It eats the oil and poops out sludge. It also can not digest the sulfer in the oil and also poops out sufuric acid in the sludge. Now add a steel tank ?????

See where I am comming from ? I know top feed tanks ? They make no sense to me either.....

This discussion has been closed.