Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Measuring a driveway for snowmelt

Todd_48
Todd_48 Member Posts: 1
How do you get the true square footage of a driveway that is anything but square? This is in old house with varying widths, wraps through a carport, and has an island in the middle and roughly 8,000- 10,000 sq ft. Is this going to simply be a matter of measuring various different points and sketching it in cad? or do the paving guys have a trick to trace the shape/area?

The owner is also going to use the driveway to supplement heat for the pool and preheat dhw so it will be a real nice project if sized right.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Break it down

Into multiple shapes that are easy to calc may take a little laying out. Squares, rectangles,circles,triangles. Hard to say how to go about it with out actually seeing the driveway.

Gordy

• Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    Send the drawing to your radiant system manufacturer

You can get a complete design from companies like Uponor, Rehau etc. Tubing layout, flow rates, tubing spacing and controls. Why take a chance and possibly miss something?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Google Earth

has a measuring scale capability that is extremely accurate. I've checked it numerous times.

And it's FREE!!!

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Todd S_15
    Todd S_15 Member Posts: 1
    Tips

Thanks for the tips, we discussed breaking down into shapes so we were thinking correctly. Google Earth sounds great too, I'll check that today. Thanks for the advice.
This discussion has been closed.