Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Watts offer

Jim Erhardt_3
Jim Erhardt_3 Member Posts: 80
Dale, thanks for this post!

Did you know that the Myth Busters segment on exploding water heaters was inspired by the "danger lurks" CD?

Comments

• Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    Watts offer

Mentioned on other posts but Watts, a great American company is offering their very important and timeless "Explosion Danger Lurks" on DVD. I think this is the best training on the subject that there is, something all new techs need to see. There is also a nice steam trap explanation as well as their scalding video. This path should get you there.

http://www.watts.com/pro/divisions/watersafety_flowcontrol/learnabout/orderdvd.asp#

v
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    A neat story about \"Explosion Danger Lurks.\"

Back in the mid-80s, I was working at Wallace Eannace Associates on Long Island and making training videos with Brooklyn Union Gas. I was poking around in some old boxes in our warehouse and found the original film of "Explosion Danger Lurks." It was in one of those old metal cans. WEA had been the Watts rep in New York for years and years and the salesmen used to show the film back in the '40s and '50s. It got put away and forgotten.

I brought the film to Brooklyn Union, and my buddy, Fred Leich, put it on VHS for me. I started using it in my steam seminars, and we sent a copy of the VHS to Watts. The rest is history. Literally!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3
    Edward A. (Ed) Carey_3 Member Posts: 236
    Question for Dan re age of video

Dan,

I have seen the video and used it for training.

When I have used it I have always stated that it was a Watts video and giving them the credit for the production of it.

Did Watts actually make it? If not, do you know who did.

Do you know how old it actually is, (when it was shot)?

Thanks,

Ed Carey
  • DanHolohan
    Remembering

I think Watts produced it in 1948. Parts at their factory, so my guess is they filmed it in Massachusetts.

Love the helmets.
    Retired and loving it.
  • I have the video somewhere ......

Here's a gas heater we replaced a few days ago . The relief valve port was totally plugged .

I wonder if relief valve testing is standard in companies annual maintenance ?
  • John_238
    John_238 Member Posts: 4
    A7rzRNRv

Great American Company that imports many products Including all the brass pex fittings from China to eliminate paying american labor
  • DanHolohan
    John,

it's a global economy. The market drives such things. There's another thread going on about this.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,500
    Dan sent me...

... a copy of that tape years ago and I've been using it in training since. It really brings the message home! Wakes 'em up after I put 'em to sleep ;~)

Yours, Larry
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930

why put relief valves in,they just leak anyway! plus they cost more than a plug

Just kidding.

All water heaters and boilers need a relief valve. not just any relief valve they need the correct one for each job.
This discussion has been closed.