Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Opinions on Navien CR tankless h2o heaters Tim

tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
Engineer specd one out on job and just wanted to get some of your opinions. Thanks in advance, Tim

Comments

• Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    98% Efficiency

Built in circulator on "A" models, 98% efficiency, condensing. Depending on the application, I would go with the A models CR-180A or CR-210A
  • Installed one in

my own home 8 months ago and has been flawless. I dont have the A model in my own home and family has adjusted to cold water sandwich. But sell A model to customers. If you install them on a well system you must use constant pressure pump or cycle stop.
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

Why do they need the constant pressure pump? Too high a flow rate to trigger the burner? I'm thinking about one for a job that is coming up soon. Are there other units out there with PVC venting?
  • They have a

high pressure drop across the exchanger and as the well pressure fluctuates between 40/60 or 50/30 the flow changes and the unit tends to hunt up and down and overheating the setpoint. A cyclestop valve is an inexpensive way to overcome this and is just a good thing in general.
  • Terry Larsell
    Terry Larsell Member Posts: 54

I went to the navien class at the local dealer and then installed one for a friend of mine. I told him he was the beta tester. He loves it so far and his wife is off his back about cold showers. It's a lot of bang for the buck and the PVC venting is a big selling point.

I put the recirc unit in and ran a line to the farthest fixture. Some programming glitches on start up but tech support was right on top of it. My only worry is how sophisticated it all is, more chances for something to go wrong.

Terry
  • Boston Standard_2
    Boston Standard_2 Member Posts: 10
    Navien is a nice product...

I replaced a 75 gallon power vent tank with a Navien CR240. The customer is very happy, and I was able to use the same exhaust vent, which is great. Another brand that uses PVC venting is the new Bosch units- also high efficiency. I tend to stay away from Bosch because of their relationship with the big-box.

Here in Boston, the incoming ground water temp can be a big issue, but this unit is doing just fine for the 2 bath home that I've installed it in...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rich Kontny_3
    Rich Kontny_3 Member Posts: 562
    Hard to tell

Distances from your photo. Are the supply and return piping in the service area ? We have installed three and thus far all is well. There has been some talk about problems with the condensate arrangement yet that was from a Tagaki engineer, so you have to consider the source.
  • Gary Kirk
    Gary Kirk Member Posts: 8

The navien CR210A has had issues early on, mostly control board issues and alittle flow sensor issues. The last 4 or 5 Ive installed ran perfectly. You have to remember to run the unit 10 minutes solid...with ALL faucets wide open for the unit to dial in. If you do NOT do this u will get a call back. I love the PVC venting ...makes for a easy installation.

Do NOT install this tankless on a well system unless you can get constant water pressure. Also make the customer aware if they have older mixing valves ...such as a shower ...that the navien has a 10 lb pressure drop ...and their mixing valves may bleed through!

www.AlpineHeat.com

• Gary Kirk
    Gary Kirk Member Posts: 8

You sure didnt make it easy for the service tech ..hahah. You guys use pex at all? Also red/white has a very good valve kit that can be used ...makes installation alot easier.

www.AlpineHeat.com
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Gary

Might want to check with Dan before you run yor company link.
  • Rich Kontny_3
    Gary

Might want to check with Dan before you run yor company link.
  • bruce_21

What is a cylcestop valve? Who makes it what model number? My wholesalers haven't heard of them.
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253

I installed a naviel 210 with the recirc pump. it had to be taken out and a second one put in. the second one had to be taken out then a rinnai went it. It would loose its flame during operation then turn back on. the hot water was inconsistent and a fac. reps came to replace the flow sensor twice.
  • Cyclestop

It is a pressure regulating valve that lets a standard submersible pump maintain constant pressure.They work very well. The model I use is the plastic one that goes in the well piping right below the pitless adapter. It is interesting to watch how the amps to a pump go down as the valve is being closed and the pressure increases. Anyway here is the link because it is to much to explain. They work well and are needed for Naviens and any type of water treatment that backwashes on a pump. http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
  • bruce_21

Thanks! Could I deal with this situation by setting the pressure switch to like 55/60 instead of 40/60?
  • No

you will short cycle the pump. Dont let the web site confuse you, the thermoplastic cv1 is very easy to install and after you do one you will be able to offer your customers constant pressure with all the savings of a variable speed pump at 1/3 the cost and if you dont want to open the well to install, the brass model goes right before the pressure tank but cost a little more.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Serviceability

How do you remove the cover to service the unit with the piping in front?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.