Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

duel fuel boiler

anthony_24
anthony_24 Member Posts: 25
I have a 1080 gal oil tank that is full. I would like to change to gas steam boiler but don't want to loose 1,080 of fuel oil. (boiler dry fired) Does anyone have an opinion on a dual fuel fired boiler. Does anyone buy the oil in my tank if I change completely to gas and remove oil tank? Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• jimmac
    jimmac Member Posts: 48
    dual fuel

they work fantastic-how big is your project? not cheap to go/install dual fuel if your only desire is to not lose your fuel it might not be YOUR option!
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    How big a boiler

do you need?

There are at least two residential steam boiler lines that can be fired with either oil or gas. When you get into the commercial sizes, most of them can use either fuel.

Which fuel is less expensive on a per-BTU basis in your area?

Is your present oil tank underground?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • anthony_24

Thanks for your replies. The project is 2 buildings (10 families and and 2 stores together) using same boiler. I got a quote for 2 245,00 btu boilers if I was to separate the buildings or 490,000 btu's together. I have a Peerless LC 04 there now. I know dual fuel would be for the two buildings together. The fuel tank is above ground encased in concrete. I paid $1.94 a gal for #2 3/28/09 gas is about $1.44 @ therm. Also is it more effectiant to use a separate hot water heater or storage tank?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    oil or gas?

why not repair the present boiler as it is, use up the oil, then switch burners to gas? as a repair, it would probably be less expensive, and more tax-deductable than a replacement.

however, i would make absolutely sure that its size is correct for the number of radiators you now have.

also now would be the time to correct any other problems the system may have had: inadequate venting, pressure above 12 oz., incorrect piping, etc.

P.S. i notice that a dual fuel burner is available for that model.

http://peerless.ag-is.com/Products/CommercialBoilers/SeriesLCLCE/tabid/126/Default.aspx#dnn_ataglance

--nbc
  • anthony_24

Thanks for your input, but boiler was 12 years old and cracked due to dry fire. not repairable
  • Bob D._2
    Bob D._2 Member Posts: 34
    Dual Fuel - Local Gas Rates?

One other possibility is to contact your local gas utility to see if they offer an "Interruptible" rate for gas. Even though your facility is relatively quite small, if you can qualify you get a lower gas rate (per CCF/therm/MMBtu) if you agree to go to fuel oil during periods of high gas demand (mid-winter). This is sometimnes a little complicated, and there may be other up front costs - for example: if your DHW heater is separate and gas fired, then a separately metered "firm" rate service will be required for that appliance, or you can elimiate it and go tankless, or some other approach. This is an opportunity to look at the longer term Big Picture.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    repairable?

they put new sections in leaky/old boilers all the time. the advantage would be: you already have the burner [assuming you will stay with oil]. if you ordered a new peerless boiler of the same model, they would bring it in in pieces, the same as the replacement sections, for the repair.--nbc

P.S.just to make sure that you get the straight information on this repair, call the peerless rep, and ask him if the replacement sections are still available, and who in his opinion should do the job. you may even mention that you are going to compare the cost of the repair with a replacement from another mfg. once again it would be very important to make sure that your present boiler is the right size for your radiators--NOT THE HEAT LOAD OF THE BLDG!! also important is to make sure the piping is as per the mfg's instructions at the end. specify a vaporstat instead of the standard pressuretrol, if you really want to save fuel costs.
  • jimmac

minimum monthly service charge would eat up any savings on TC or interuptible with his btus. i have done done plenty on LC peerless boiler and the smaller SCT- with both the powerflame and webster where are you located anthony?Hot water production can be accomplished many ways how is the draw of the building high use ?commercial stores use the water also? washers?
  • anthony_24

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I don't understand SCT. The building has a low draw on water, no dishwashers or washing machines permitted. 1 Commercial will be installing his own WH (nail salon). Other store just lav and toilet. I'm located in Brooklyn.
  • jimmac

SCT PEERLESS SEMI COMMERCIAL BOILER the attached pictures numbers #3631,3637,3639 SHOW A PEERLESS SCT-08 LARGER TEN FAMILY WITH DUAL FUEL POWERFLAME BURNER

LC is a larger boiler like what you have now 3691 &3696 show AND LC-05 DUAL FUEL WITH POWERFLAME
    both new installs from April
This discussion has been closed.