Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's wrong with these pictures??? (ME)

don_205
don_205 Member Posts: 66
I'll bet that it was plug into the same circuit with a bunch of other loads on the same circuit all running at the same time.

They will blame it on voltage drop.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    If I were the manufacturer, I'd be REAL concerned...

And if I were the retail distributor, I'd yank their product off the shelf until they came up with a GOOD answer....

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Quite a display,

unit Mark. I`ve run into this type of stuff at cheapskate owners residences.
    Besides the obvious hole, wherever the element is sewn-in it all seems scorched.
    Thanks for sharing, I`ll definitely save these pics!

Dave
  • Home Depot Employee
    Home Depot Employee Member Posts: 329

OMG, what store must I visit quickly

If it is a poor performing one, I might just leave it alone

LOL
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    most likely poor application

I would guess those heating elements are NOT designed to run without a load. Or proper heat dissipation. surely the guys who built the display are not up on how things need to work.

don't blame the product for wrong applications.

aren't they normally embedded in thinset or floor leveling compound anyway? whole different ball game.....
  • Cam_2
    Cam_2 Member Posts: 36
    Uhh Home Depot Employee

Isn't that your department? Shape up or ship out MISTER!
  • Larry (from OSHA)
    Larry (from OSHA) Member Posts: 723
    it's only a small spot.....

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if that spot got damaged somehow and is not an indication of the product normally. Perhaps pinched or cut. If it was my store, I'd get it out of view, but apparently not everyone cares about that sort of thing.

Larry
  • good catch, Mark

At one of my local Home Depot, dead middle of winter, I happened to see one of the large overhead heating unit running with smoke pipe disconnected. I reported to one of the employee to get it shut off and if he can't, then get the manager to do it right away. Manager came over all pissed, demanding what authority I have to order it shut off, showed him the noticable defect and all the people that been buried due to carbon monoxide poisoning. And also told him that I'll be glad to call 911 and saying people are getting sick in the store and the manager refused to turn off the heating unit. Immediately, forklift came and lifted the person to turn off the unit. Questioned them if they are to fix the disconnected smoke pipe, "we can't do it, not my dept", yet, they sell the material there!
  • Home Depot Employee

85,000 sq ft, 22' ceilings, large doors opening and closing, I doubt a unvented unit would register CO, 5' away.
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    probably...

call their HVAC contractor to fix it, but that's fine, long as it got shut off.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

That's probably true. Over night with the place closed up it still might be a leaky enough space to keep the CO in check, hopefully. The guy that opens up in the AM will find out.

Still not right though.
  • Home Depot Employee

If you have ever seen a 1.5 million BTU, nat gas direct-fired, air rotation unit sometimes several in one warehouse that are very common, then you will understand my point about freaking over a disconnected flue in a open warehouse, on a 250M? unit.

Ever tour a northern manufacturing plant?

Then again, maybe thats why so much heating equipment is shipped out with dents, because the dizzy fork truck operators can't see straight?

Although I agree if it is meant to be vented, it should.
  • this unit was

This unit was overhead of the checkout counters. Yea, while waiting for the checkout line to move and looked up and saw the unit...
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Hey Larry.....

(from OSHA)

Glad to see you posting. There had been discussion in one recent thread as to where you've been.

Always enjoy your input.

Now how about posting in the thread titled "Faces with Posts"
    :)

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.