Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity conversion

from a system converted to oil ~ 1980. Both 3" main loops teed together to existing boiler. Has a toe kick tied in as well. Three story Dutch type house. To a TT "Excellence". I think the only question I have is the balancing orifices. If I put a high volume low head pump on there do I need to get into moving the orifices around?

For near boiler:
The original plan was to leave the loops tied as they are, build a two branch manifold and pump them directly through the boiler. Included on this manifold there would be a smaller pump for the toe kick. I am under the impression the TT doesn't care about a minimum water flow. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd just like to avoid primary secondary if I could.

Comments

• Likely,

The orifices were for the top floor so now pumping-it the flow will try to make as small a journey as possible.
    There is a minimum flow through the TT HX(although very low), check the model on the website.
    WCS it will short cycle like crazy, or you`ll get a lockout code.
    Taking Tony`s advice, can you cut-in a return farther down the line & scrap the orifices completely?

Dave
  • Thanks

Chances are I'll be opening it up, I was hoping to avoid getting air in the system. The last installer put ball valves on it so the system itself is still charged.

Also found out I'll just run the main system through the boiler and feed my toe kick from two closely spaced tees in the boiler outlet to the main. Piece of pie.
This discussion has been closed.