Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

loud banging noises in boiler pipes

JK_3
JK_3 Member Posts: 240
Too many times I have seen contractors while finishing a basement push the framing right up against the steam lines causing low spots where water sits. If your pipes do not maintain consistent pitch the pipes will bang when steam first reaches that location. I hope this helps.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=417&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• jane_5
    jane_5 Member Posts: 1
    boiler making loud banging noises

Help! I had my basement finished and baseboard heat put in down there. Rest of house has radiators (not steam). Every time my boiler fires up now, it makes these super loud banging noises. I thought it was air in the system and bled all the lines numerous times but to no avail. It wakes me up occasionally it is so loud. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?
  • banging

First off we hope you had a low water cutoff installed due to heating loop below boiler. It does sound like air at first. Did you bleed system correctly ,and if so we would then look at circulator sizing or correct operation of zone valve which ever you have. More information would be helpful....We are a group of grade 11 plumbing and heating students who look at this site and try to use it as an educational tool....hope we helped a little bit thanks
  • Sounds like

severe expansion noises where the pipes meet wood . When 180 degree water meets up with copper pipe at room temperature , the noises can get real loud . If it was air in the system the sound would be more like a running fish tank or my stomach when I'm hungry . Do the banging noises stop after the baseboard heats up ?

You can try stuffing something between the pipes and where they come through the walls into baseboard . I hear carboard milk cartons work good . But if the pipes are rubbing against wood where you can't reach them , it's gonna be tough to stop . An outdoor reset control might work cause it'll send out lower temperature water to the zone , limiting the pipe expansion .
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    banging

Is this forced hot water? Sounds like low bolier water pressure, or temp too high, or even a zone valve in backwards. Besides the creaking/knocking/banging that you get when the pipes are jammed against wood, etc, these things will make it bang also
This discussion has been closed.