Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hydrarulic Separators

Has anyone had success making their own hydraulic seperator. I need a 2" for a job (cost @ $1,000.00). I'm considering a section of 3" copper, four 2" tee drilled connections, a Spirotop air vent on the top, and drain valve for the bottom.
Ron Miller

Comments

• Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    \"Backed out\"

I've considered making one for three large Vitodens once,it was going to be a Copper design.

But then i found that a wholesaler had one "Collecting dust" and purchased it for a price that was prohibitive for me it even think about making it myself! did you check Caleffi yet?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    37 gpm flow rate?

that is what a 2" Caleffi brand will handle, either A or B side.

There is some engineering involved to allow them to operate properly. The barrel dimension is important. Twice the branch size, so a 2" branch separator would need a 6" diameter barrel. also to make the air separation function, you need a bit of a mesh or scrubbing element in the stream.

That price seems a bit high? Is it a flanged version or ASME listed?

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    No flanges

Here is a Caleffi 2" I.P.S with unions I installed 6 months ago.
    I won't tell you what it cost me , or who my supplier is on this forum, just to protect other supply houses costs.
    But I will say it was much lower than $1000.00. I added the temperature gauge in the middle port.
    Email me if you what.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • i'll bet the element

is not much more than a ss baffle that's used to disrupt the sed flow
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    sharp edges

are the key to that element being able to collect micro bubbles.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,399
    Nice Devan

what was that connected to...any more pics? How have you been? Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Hydraulic Separators

These aren't 2", but it is certainly possible to make one like this in 2". I would size the trunk up one pipe diameter over the branch piping.
  • 1-1/2\"?

there certainly isn't much baffle in that. ss screen, tubed?
  • Andrew Hagen_2
    Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
    Baffle

The baffle does not need to be much. In my experience, even without a baffle, a hydraulic separator does an excellent job of removing air. The baffle is simply the copper tube that extends through the top reducer flattened on the end. Viessmann's LLH has no baffle and works perfectly simply by offsetting the ports vertically. In this case, the baffle interrupts the flow enough to aid in removal of air bubbles while maintaining the pipe spacing for ease of installation.

I am sure Ron could build something like this in the size he requires, though it may no longer be cost effective compared to the commercially available units.
  • Zim
    Zim Member Posts: 1
    Calculating a separator

Perhaps this wll help.
    Just ignore the metric units in the example and use inches instead. Here are some german to english translations:
    fall = case; primer = primary; sekunder = secondary; hydraulische weiche = hydraulic separator; Achsenverschiebung = distance/shift between axes
    Abstand zwischen Vorlaus und Ruclauf = Distance between main and return.
    Or perhaps you have already found a solution or bought a factory-ready unit - most people here prefer to buy a separator instead of making one.
    I hope this helps.
  • Nron_13
    Nron_13 Member Posts: 164
    seperators

Ziggy has a math formula for making your own hydrolic seperators , we make our own all the time and its based on flow rates for the boiler and your system
This discussion has been closed.