Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do I load a quick time movie on wall

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
I think you have to go to another web site and place it (You Tube) there then give people a link to it.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    How do I load a quick time movie on wall

Trying to load the movie of Grundfos Alpha and could not put as attachment. Any ideas?? Thanks, Tim
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    That is correct.

Retired and loving it.
  • Joe_148
    Joe_148 Member Posts: 3
    Movie links

I lurk here and read most of the posts. I have always wondered why you guys go to all the effort to post multiple jpg photographs, which in my opinion take too much effort to click, view, go back, click on next one, go back...... when it would be just as easy to take your digital camera, put it in movie mode, walk around your job site with it running and describe each and every thing you are working on or having trouble with, zoom in on the small stuff or things up in the rafters.

It would be a much better way to show everyone what you are talking about. You could still put on a few still photographs, but in my humble opinion a movie clip would be far superior.

For instance, I have a machine shop that I have insured the contents of. It is chock full of stuff. Too much for me to actually photograph the individual pieces for insurance purposes. I just put my digital camera in movie mode, and spent some time walking around nosing into every nook and cranny, up on every shelf and behind every machine- all over the shop covering each and every item I could see and describing what I was seeing and what the item was worth when I bought it.

That way I have a visual record of the contents of the shop in the event of a big disaster, or even a small one like theft or vandalism, and don't have to rely on my pitiful memory to recount the contents of the building. I save that movie to a disk and save it in my safe.
  • Jack_44
    Jack_44 Member Posts: 35
    a vote for still photos

Movies have their place, but a still shot is more transportable & suitable for framing - and many shots here are real keepers. Yes, I agree that a movie would be interesting to put things in relation to one another.

To all you pros - please don't stop posting photos of you work. And may I suggest that small file sizes are sufficient.

Thanks.
  • hmmm, that could be a good idea,

and it'd give everyone an opportunity to lend a face and
    'voice' to the print personality, and guaranteed to change our responses when see/hearing inflections

more time saving? there isn't much diff between filming and stilling, but filming to the degree needed to explain something vs inventorying would take a 'script' of sorts. that is unless people would automatically feel comfortable adlibbing in 'front' of the camera. and then there's, auditions and rehearsals.......would the extra time be
    worth all that?

and now, me and your ins agent are gonna clean you out. including your safe
  • Joe_148
    Joe_148 Member Posts: 3
    movies

yikes! Why da ya gotta bring the insurance man into it!

What I meant about time saving is the looking at the pictures in each post. That is labor intensive, and most of the time the photos are so large you are forced to scroll them from side to side to see them.

You are correct in that it is hard to describe what you are wanting to show as you are walking around filming. Hard to do two things at once and keep your message coherent. I did have trouble doing that.

The reason I think movie clips posted to youtube or photobucket are a good idea is because seeing the whole boiler room or piping layout would be a tremendous help when folks write in asking why their heating system isn't performing up to specs- then they are bombarded with (and rightfully so) questions asking for more photos of this or that. It puts the whole system in perspective.

If they were to take requests and then go all thru the basement or house and trace the system and point in all the nooks and crannies- it would save you troubleshooteers a lot of time. You could hear the "funny" noises they are trying to describe, the clicking and ticking and air rushing out of vents- the whole schmear.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary!
  • Radiator Ranger
    Radiator Ranger Member Posts: 81
    Photos

Hi Each,

I'm voting for sticking with still shots for most posts. While I agree it takes time to load them etc. I live with severe bandwidth limitations - I can only reliably post and upload photos between 12-3AM. Movies take more bandwidth overall and I'd actually see less than more. I realize I'm in a unique setting etc. but I'm sure I'm not the only person with limited bandwidth.

Thanks!
    Gwen Healy

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Internet Challenged...

I agree with Gwen. On weekends, I am limited to my local cell towers speed, and it's not fast. Movies would be a no go from up here.

As for oversized pictures, I use Irfan to down size the size of my pictures. It makes for a MUCH faster loading.

ME

• oh yeah,

your points are well taken

my comp takes a few seconds to download pics, but it automatically shrinks them when finished, and then i can zomm them up when i want to see a specific detail

and as the others said, uploading to u can take quite some time, dep on location
  • Irfan is a wonderful utility

Go here if you need it. It is free.

http://www.irfanview.com/

This discussion has been closed.