Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

SlantFin Bobcat

Options
tell us more........

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• helpingothershelpthemselves_2
    Options
    SlantFin Bobcat

Is anyone else aware of a service, design or engineering issue with SlantFin's Bobcat Condensing Gas Boiler?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated .

Thank You ,

Ken Resnick

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Options

An issue with the boilers combustions area I would estimate.

I was asked to look at one today and would think SlantFin may know about it and hopefully something is in the works by SlantFin to address the issue.

• S/F is a good company,, I would think if there was any problems they will let you/customers know.

Dave
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I agree

Slant/Fin is a pleasure to deal with. They really do listen to us. Let us know how it goes!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Slant Fin Technical Services

Instead of asking a question that implies that there is a problem or may be a problem with a Slant Fin product it would be more helpful to you to contact Slant Fin Technical Services at Phone: 1-800-873-4346. They also have a great web site:

http://www.slantfin.com/technical-service.html

They can also be contacted by e-mail. Slant Fin is a great company with fine products and if they have a problem they will tell you.
  • Bob Flanagan_3
    Bob Flanagan_3 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Technical Services

As many of you know, Slant/Fin is very proud of our Technical Service Department. I would encourage you to contact us at the number already provided if you encounter any problems. The Bobcat is a modulating condensing gas boiler. As with any product that is in this category they require very specific set up requirements. If anyone has any questions on this or any other subject, please give us a call.

thanks to all for your kind words. Hope all else is well.
    Bob Flanagan
    V.P. Sales
    Slant/Fin Corp.

Options

Bob
    Thank you for your input regarding the importance of setting the, Bobcat modulating condensing gas boiler, to very specific requirements.

With that completely understood and performed properly my query was regarding the obvious delayed ignition issue as well as the integrity of the aluminum heat exchanger and ignition electrode when subjected to this ignition failure issue time and again. Due to the higher temperatures at time of successful ignition after so many attempts is of great concern.
    The evident coating on the ignition assembly and electrode from this ignition error situation. The absence of a pressure switch is also concerning in the event of a blocked flueway.
    As if the bulging front of the combustion area is not proof enough that an issue exists, the obvious breakdown of the aluminum fins on the heat exchanger would raise a flag and ring a bell.

I have always believed that SlantFin's Technical Service Department is first rate and this query should by no means be thought of blowing a whistle in any sense of the term.

This forum was designed by Dan to be a place of sharing of information and that is what I hope can be accomplished here in a true and honest manner, as always.

Thank You
    Ken Resnick

• Bob Flanagan_3
    Options
    Bobcat Boiler

Ken:

Again, if you have experienced a delayed ignition it would point out some kind of set up problem. There are many questions that have to be asked before an answer to this type of question can be provided. This is why a conversation with Tech. Serv. is much more productive than email strings.

There are many of these boilers in the field operating to specification. I encourage you to call and speak to our Tech. Serv. Dept. directly. I am not sure if you are refering to your own boiler or just what the situation is.

You are correct, Dan constructed a great site for the sharing of information. It is not however a Technical Services site that is conducive to solving individual problems such as the one you have raised.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Options

Bob ,

I do appreciate and understand your position as VP of Sales for SlantFin and acknowledge your desire for wallies to cease making inquiries of a touchy technical nature on the wall , but that was the intent of this type of forum given to technicians , business owners and educators. by Dan H.

All set up specifications had been followed according to manufacturers specifications but thank you for your input on suggesting this problem may be a set up issue. I further understand and can appreciate your attempting to say this is an individual problem .

We as "wallies' have helped each other through many a situation from technical advice to personal tragedy. This is the family we go to first when an issue arises where we can all benefit from knowledge or asistance, either singularly or as a group.

Thank You ,
    Ken Resnick

• Bob Flanagan_3
    Options
    Bobcat

Ken:

Nothing touchy at all about your query. Delayed ingnitions on gas boilers have been around for years and years. The Bobcat just like any other gas boiler is open to this type of ignition failure. Boilers are not designed to have delayed ignitions and the Bobcat when set up properly enjoys a nice smooth light off. To solve your problem, which we don't even know is your problem, requires many questions to be asked.

Thus far I have no specifics on the problem you raise. Again, this is not the forum to conduct this exchange. Long before emails and websites a certain gentleman invented the telephone, lets try that and see if we can solve you problem.

Thanks again,
    Bob

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Ken

with all due respect,I have to agree with Bob Flanagan.A lot of people read this forum and may unfairly form an opinion about a product based on hearsay.When I have a callback,I'd be perturbed if the customer brought the issue here rather than giving me the opportunity to make it right.Give S/F the same chance we would all expect.I'm sure they'll take care of the problem.
    Just to let you know what type of people are at S/F.When they learned of a fundraiser last year on LI for Oil Heat Cares,they generously offered to sponsor lunch for all the attendees.Thanks again,Slant/Fin
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Options

Robert,

I agree with you whole heartedly about SlantFin.
    My experiences with them have always been very positive.
    I am in no way pointing fingers or attempting to discredit what a fine company they have always been.

This issue is now in the hands of SlantFin's Technical Services and Design Departments.

My sincere apologies to all the wonderful people at SlantFin and The Wall if this thread was taken as anything other than a sincere attempt to gain information and knowledge.

Thanks Robert , look forward to seeing you again .

Ken Resnick

• Bob Flanagan_3
    Options
    No worries Ken

Ken,
    No apologies necessary. I have never met you but you have a well earned reputation as a great educator. Let me know how Tech. Serv. does with your situation. Have a great weekend.

Robert, as always, thanks!!!

Best Regards,
    Bob

Options

Bob,

Thanks for the very kind words.

I own and operate a plumbing & heating business as well as instruct our industries technicians and future technicians.

I feel it is of utmost importance to share with my students any and all experiences and information from the field .

Have a wonderful weekend

Ken Resnick

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Ken

I'm looking forward to seeing you again as well!It's been awhile since the last Big Ugly!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Options

Yes much too long.
    It wasnt too big and didn't get too ugly , but wonderful seeing the wallies anytime anywhere.
    I still have the photos I took of the LI Big ugly if you didnt see them.
    Let me know

Have a great weekend
    Ken

• Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Lots of respect

The fact that you are watching the Wall and responding demands respect. Open forum can be a hard way to deal with things but when compared to manufacturers who ignore questions asked it is admirable. So often well designed products are installed with good intention but something is happening that makes the machine look bad. Be it installation or some other issue it is a shame to see a good product thrown out with the bath water. Like I said respect.
This discussion has been closed.