Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking from Release Valve

Options
Sissy
Sissy Member Posts: 31
Another test you can perform is to isolate (shut off) the water supply to the amtrol and then monitor the boiler pressure for a day while running for heat if pressure doesn't spike then I would strongly suspect the coil.

Comments

• Coery Smith
    Coery Smith Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Leaking form Release Valve

I am getting water coming out the pressure release valve on my furnace. My heating contractor is claiminng that I may have a leak in my Amtrol Boilermate and that is causing pressure being released from the furnace.

My question is if that is the case, why isn't the pressure being released by the boilermate pressure release valve, and is his theory a possibility?
  • Undonaassesee
    Undonaassesee Member Posts: 10
    Options
    relief valve

If the boiler mate coil is leaking the pressure in the boilermate is greater than the pressure in the boiler so the relief valve on the boiler will open 1st-probably when it reaches 30 psi-You can also check your expansion tank.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    releif valve

You have a boiler, not a furnace. The relief valve on the Amtrol Boilermate is a pressure/temperature relief valve, and has a rating of 125 lbs max. That is because it is a domestic water relief valve. The boiler relief valve is rated to open at 30 Lbs max. That is because this is for the closed system heating water that flows thru your baseboard/radiators/air handler, or whatever way you are heating your home. The coil in the tank has boiler water flowing thru it. The 60 Lbs or so domestic water in the tank is feeding into the boiler side thru a pinhole in the coil thus popping the relief valve rated for 30 Lbs max on the boiler. Make sure they have isolated the problem to the coil. Easily done . Good luck. peace
  • Larry C_13
    Larry C_13 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Leaking relief valve

Hi Coery,

I am a fellow homeowner, and I just went thru this with my boiler. In my case, the automatic make up water valve was leaking by, which resulted in my boiler filling up and lifting the relief valve.

The way to determine the problem is to isolate each of the possible sources and see which one solves the problem.

The first requirement is to make sure you have a functional pressure gauge that indicates the boiler internal water pressure. The other posters indicated that the relief valve should be set at 30 psi. Does the pressure gauge indicate about 30 psi when the relief valve is dripping?

If it doesn't, then you might have a bad relief valve or a bad pressure gauge. Get one or both of them replaced immediately.

If the pressure does indicate around 30 psi when the relief valve is dripping, then it is safe to assume that both are working correctly. That means higher pressure water is making its way into your boiler.

The two usual paths for water to get into the boiler is either thru the make up water, or thru a leaking water heater coil.

The first and usually easiest way is to isolate the make up water. Fully shut off the isolation valve between the water feeder and the boiler. If there is not an isolation valve between the water feeder and the boiler, shut off the water to the water feeder. Drain enough water out of the boiler to get the water pressure back down to its "normal" range. Run the boiler for a day or two, and see if the water pressure creeps back up. If it does, the leak is probably in the hot water coil. Fix the water heating component(s).

If the pressure does not increase, congratulations, you found the source. Have the leaking make up water components replaced.

Good Luck.

Larry C
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Leaking Indirect DHWTank

It is most likely a leaking coil in the Amtrol tank. These tanks seem to have a high failure rate. We see them last 5-10 years. Consider replacing it with a stainless steel indirect. Viessmann, HTP and Triangle Tube make stainless indirects.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    coil failure

Paul, you must have some rough and tough water where you are. I've been using them for 26 years, and only had one coil develop a leak. I have had them get enough build up that affected recovery. Not so bad since they did the nickel plate years back. Plus side of these tanks, coils CAN be replaced, or steam cleaned. I've done the stainless, and stone tanks. When they stop making hot water, pretty much throw them out and sell them another one. Alot can be said about water filtration. The Boilermate in my house is 23 years old and still cranking out the hot water. peace
This discussion has been closed.