Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flir camera question (gerry gill)

gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
flir model bcam-sd is a good camera for the average plumber/steamer to use? Does it have enough features to make it worth it?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=360&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    Hi Gerry

Email me. I know someone who can answer your questions. And he's local. And helpful.

Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    I.R. camera

the I.R. camera must be a great tool for seeing how steam moves through the pipes, as far as balancing everything out, and eliminating hot-spots. if you can use it to determine how many big vents on a run are too many, it will pay for itself quickly. probably blocked returns could be seen as well. the other uses it has are of course many, in regard to finding cold air leaks, etc.

they will also be used to detect arriving passengers with elevated temps due to the new flue!--nbc
  • Ted_4
    Ted_4 Member Posts: 92
    BCAM

Our home energy auditors use the BCAM SD, and it is a great piece of equipment, in my humble opinion. There are enough features that it takes awhile to learn it all, but you can just pick it up and use it for basic scanning without too much training. Now, if they could just get the price down!
  • gerry gill
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696

I have a friend who bought one for his business. He said that the price was VERY negotiable and that he got it for $2000+ less than the ($5k+)list price! IMO still an expensive item!

- Rod
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 960
    flir

I borrowed a Flir this winter, and what an informative device it is! You can see pipes in the walls, you can see bad traps. You can watch radiators fill and see exactly how evenly a system is heating. Yes, you can see pretty clearly through pipe insulation since the Flir is quite sensitive. Using the auto ranging feature ensures that you don't miss anything changing temp. I took it to a buddy's house to see how good a job the blown in insulation was doing. Suffice it to say, we could see why his gas bills remained high.

There's a learning curve, of course. You might think you are measuring the surface temp of a glass window, but you could be reading the of your reflection in the glass. Shiny metallic surfaces may not give you an accurate reading until you put tape or dust or something on them. Remember that thing about metallic paints on radiators? its true.

Here's an image from the Flir. It was a very cold night (about 6 degrees), and our wily calico shows she's no dummy as she sits above the classic 1966 hobart KitchenAid Superba.

Terry

Terry T

steam; proportioned minitube; trapless; jet pump return; vac vent. New Yorker CGS30C

• gerry gill
    I put one on order,

i'm really looking forward to see how it aids troubleshooting..we did our part for supporting the economy, hehe

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

THAT'S A KOOL CAT, BRO
This discussion has been closed.