Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Woodya think of this? (ME)

Options
jp_2
jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
mark,

this ain't new! search wood gasifiers on you-tube. I have a friend that builds gasifiers out of scrap, like old water heaters and such. In Iraq he took a shot up pick up truck and had it running on wood, also has an old farmall tractor running on wood chunks. I'll see if i can find the video.

whats your nighttime amp hour drawn for them windows?

i plan to build a wood gasifier/generator so i can use my welder off grid.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    In my never ending pursuit of energy independence at Hydronicahh

I stumbled across this web site. I have a gas powered generator on site that could be used to generate and store the electricity necessary to power my windows, lights etc. This system is appealing because I can do EITHER hot water production or electrical generation.

Any of you Wallies have any experience with one of these beasts?

TIA

ME

http://woodygasifier.com/
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • jp_2
    Options
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Thanks jp..

Looks like there are more choices out there.

My goal is to get a system that will burn for 3 days without refueling.

Got access to LOTS of free chip wood beetle kill.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 396
    Options
    run time is the big question

If they could run for three days that would be a real functional machine. If they could be refilled while operating even better.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    There are companies that make these already...

downdraft gasifiers have been in use off-and-on since WW1, even in transportation applications. Some companies are better than others at avoiding issues with soot and other contaminants from impacting downstream engines. I had the pleasure of costing out one very sophisticated system meant for light industrial use... impressive technology under the right circumstances.

Since I am grid tied and have no abundance of wood-like materials, I'll try to keep dreaming up new ways to save energy...
  • Clif Heeney_2
    Clif Heeney_2 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Source of Wood Chips

Hi Mark!

Is this project for your cabin?

Where will you be obtaining the wood chips?

Hope you are doing well this spring!

Clif
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Hello Clif !

Odd that you should ask. The Lazy Shamrock Ranch (your Grandparents ranch...) is loaded with standing beetle kill. They are cutting them down and running them through a chipper shredder. Sean said I could have all I want for FREE...

And yes, it will be used at my settlement in Heeney. My intent is to set up a district heating system that will serve my two properties, and my cousins place across the street.

In addition to the wood gasifier, I will have a solar thermal system, a solar PV system, a variable speed ground source heat pump, a modulating/condensing boiler, radiant windows, radiant ceilings, radiant walls, radiant floors, and eventually, a hydrogen fuel cell.

Thanks for asking, and I hope things are going well for you across the pond!

ME
  • Key phrase:

"You are making explosive gases remember." ;-)

Pretty ambitious ME, I wonder how a Robur would run on woodgas... Hmmm,,,
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Not just combustible gasses, but primarily....

Carbon Monoxide. trust me, it wil all be kept outside, and I will give the CO the due respect it deserves.

ME
  • Really,,,

Does the CO take part in the combustion process at the engine end? What is the primary gas produced?
  • jp_2
    Options
    CO= fuel

yep, CO burns nicely. there is hydrogen and other volatiles in the mix.

so CO burns to CO2.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options

I talked to a guy years ago who had lived in occupied France and who was familiar with this type of fuel setup as they powered cars with it. One of the things he said was that you could figure that one cubic foot of hard wood equaled about the same output as one gallon of gasoline. (He was probably talking about an Imperial gallon rather than a U.S. gallon.)
    The only other thing I remembered from the conversation is that he said sawdust didn't work well, small pieces about the size of charcoal briquettes worked best.

I'm wondering about the bottom line economics when you figure in fuel/wear and tear for the chainsaw and chipper plus labor for making fuel and then the cost storage and of equipment and maintenance. If you have nothing else for fuel then you do what you have to do, but with other sources of fuel available I think one would need to take a very close look at all the economic factors including convenience before making a choice.

- Rod
  • jp_2
    Options
    MPF

really more like flammable and not explosive. you're not going to blow anything up by a leak or something.
  • jp_2
    Options
    mark

that's what i was talking about with my friend. need to build a system like the wood pellet stoves have, basically an auger and storage silo.

what I like best about wood gas, you are energy independent.

we've been discussing compressing and storage, like propane.
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    Options
    Depends where you are...

off-grid, it can make sense. Also makes sense in areas where conventional burning due to emissions is not allowed but gasifying is (because it can be very very clean, if done right). Some folk use it to burn up waste products like shells, for example, and make a pretty penny offsetting peak power consumption.

Modern process control has a lot of potential to simplify/improve these units, just as it significantly improved heating systems...
  • Mark Eatherton
    Options
    Good question...

But even if THAT didn't work, the possibility of producing cooling with the system is a definite alternative... And other than the minor expenses, the fuel source is FREE, and BOUNTIFUL, and PROLIFIC. Wait a minute. These trees are DEAD, scratch the prolific statement :-)

But it's still free, and I'm in control of the energy source. Are there easier alternatives out there. Heck yeah! And I'm going to have them ALL on my system so I can use the least expensive energy first (probably solar) followed by GSHP, THEN the gasifier, or the gasifier whenever I have easy access to fuel (clean convertible trash mixed with wood).

And I can generate ELECTRICITY, worth $2.00 plus per therm for electricity.

And if I get tired of wood, there's a coal mine about 50 miles from here that sell retail by the ton, and this gasifier will work with coal...

• Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options

http://www.lindsaybks.com/ Lots of books here about wood gas and gasifiers. Also steam engine stuff. got to love all things steam. One goal for retirement in 100 years from now is to have a steam powered sawmill. I will not actually build it but always liked the idea.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Steamtown, Scranton PA

is the only place for steamheads. If you ever decide to go call in advance and find out when they will do workshop tours. Go on a day when they open the shop up and take the tour. Fascinating. I kept getting in trouble because I was constantly lagging behind marveling at things. lol
  • Clif Heeney_2
    Clif Heeney_2 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Costly Fuel

Hi Mark!

Sounds like you have the makings of a fine project for your place. The price of the fuel from Sean is certainly good! :-)

Let's see you will have the cost of fuel for your truck and trailer of about 4 miles round trip, maybe 6 miles RT if'n you have to go into the woods. Sean probably will load it for you with his backhoe or Bobcat for free.

You are helping him get rid of the chips and he is helping you heat and make some power. Any possibility that you will be able to generate an excess of electricity? Does Denver Power and Light (is that their name?) have to buy whatever you can generate?

Interesting project. I want to get up that way the next time we cross the pond and get in the area!

Keep us all updated on this, please. The thread seems to indicate that others are interested as well.

Give Sean my greetings!

Clif
This discussion has been closed.