Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Water heater is off

Options
bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET A NEW GIRL FRIEND WHAT HAS HOT WATER !! LOL

Comments

• Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Gas water heater is off

I got home last night after a week on the road. I am informed there is no hot water. Of course, I immediatly turn on the hot water at the sink. And of course, she was right. Using all my deductive powers, I note the gas furnace is operting so I know I paid the gas bill. I went into the basement and found the sump pump for the furnace in not working and the water is running under the gas water heater. I also see rust on sheet metal around the water heater. I did not have time to work on the heater, but is it possible the thermocouple is rusted and that is the cause of the water heater not working?
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Options
    it's possible...

the gas hot water heater's tank has developed a leak, or that the burner ****'y, thermocouple, sheet metal housing, etc. have been compromised by the water (coming from elsewhere, on its way past the non working sump pump) and the water heater needs to be replaced outright. Bummer!

Fortunately, in the global scheme of things, gas hot water heaters are not that expensive, though it still stinks if you gotta replace it.
  • bob young
    Options

it could be under gaurantee
  • Douglas Hicks
    Douglas Hicks Member Posts: 69
    Options

The heater is about 15 years old, so the warrenty is probably expired. I talked to my local sheet metal shop. He suggested a Navien tankless at about $1500.00, installed. I asked about Rinnai, which he also sells. He likes the Navien better. A new tank heater is about $500.00, which I can install. The tankless, I would not install. I can make more doing my trade than learning a new trade.

Has anyone here had experience with the Navien? Good, bad?

I will probably try a new thermocouple tommorrow. My girlfriend is tired of heating water on the stove for a bath. I offered to keep her in hot water, she declined. At least I think that is what the laughter meant.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 539
    Options
    I saw the latest

Naivian today, with a built-in recirc pump. Nice looking machine. They forcast a dual use unit soon hot water and hot floors.

I have had good luck with Noritz, but his unit today got my attention.

Hey $10 bucks for a thermalcouple may do the job.

I wrote a check yesterday for truck repairs I could have done, so I get that part. If you go for the T/C adjustable 8". 3/8 and 7/16 wrenches will get you by. Pull the burner assembley it makes it easier.
  • bob young
    Options
    just call a plumber

might not be such a great idea for a mechanic not experienced with gas controls to be working on them. or giving advice and suggesting to give it a shot. it has backfired before & in more ways than one.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 539
    Options
    Bob is right

Sorry I did not want him to blow up the house.

He said he could change out a tank.

I learned what I know the hard way sometimes.

Thanks for the heads up.
This discussion has been closed.