Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what not to do

Indysteamer
Indysteamer Member Posts: 12
The thing that really gets me is how has this thing lasted so long?? It seems like if you installed any boiler made in the last 10 or 15 years like this it would not have lasted more than about 5 years. AND most likely it would have generated many call backs!!

Comments

• bert
    bert Member Posts: 50
    what not to do

Occasionally someone wants examples of what not to do.
    Old A/S steamer, 35+ years or more in existence.
  • at least it's

within 2" of the water line(G).
  • Guy Woollard
    Guy Woollard Member Posts: 82
    expectations

By the title of the post, I was expecting things like:
    Don't think that 1 psi can't matter, when removing an auto vent.

Don't think that the dog's line can't reach the walkway.

Don't think that the waterlogged exp. tank won't be too heavy.
  • billtwocase_7
    billtwocase_7 Member Posts: 3
    what not to do

Isn't that what they call a heat trap? lol. Must have been upgraded from the rear flue Arcoliner. Pathetic that it was let go this long. I suppose a draft inducer with a post purge relay would be quick fix, but not a solution to the venting error. peace
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    yes and no

if the vent was purely gravity driven, a heat trap would occur.

but most venting chimneys are under a slight vacuum so this is more a forced vent, as in power vent.
  • billtwocase_7
    billtwocase_7 Member Posts: 3
    it was a joke

No smoke pipe should ever be piped like that. Period.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

And yet we have all seen worse. I do not think the barometric damper was really needed there. I will bet with it fixed the head aches and memory loss with get better for anyone left still on this side of the sod.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Those A-S A-3 boilers

were built like tanks. They could put up with a lot of abuse- like that one did.

The DH series burner you see on this one, an early attempt at flame-retention- was a headache. Every one of these boilers I've seen had had an upgrade- usually a Beckett AF. Except one, where someone installed an old-style Sinclair SuperFlame totally wrong. That one got an AF and a new chamber.

A MegaSteam would certainly have a low enough breech to work with that thimble height........

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • billtwocase_8
    billtwocase_8 Member Posts: 3
    non flame retention

Steam, that burner was just before flame retention by about 5 years. The Arcoleader with the Arcoflame burner was just a cast endcone unit. Later on the APT models, they used the ceramic ring. The flame retention burners were more the ABC venture American Standard tried. They did suck to say the least. These boilers still had the steel chambers, what was left of them. peace
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I was being kind

by calling it an attempt- others have also described it that way. We all know it didn't work. Was the ABC they used the same as that used on the W-M 62-65-early 66, the 45CU I believe? That was another attempt.... lost count of the ones I've replaced.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • billtwocase_8
    billtwocase_8 Member Posts: 3
    Keep up the good work Steam

The air is getting cleaner as we speak lol. peace
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Out here in the woods

We call that a Hartford Loop!
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

is that why there are so few people ? lol
This discussion has been closed.