Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chinese Drywall

with Chinese Drywall, reported by Coastal Connection a portion of the article. This stuff is affecting metals such as copper pipe, wire connections and evaporator coils as just a few of the problems.

Chinese Drywall Problem Spreads Along Gulf Coast~

Florida's Chinese drywall problem continued to fester in late March and early April. And the defective drywall also has been cropping up in other Gulf Coast states, including Mississippi and Louisiana.

In Florida, Governor Charlie Crist has requested Federal help with investigations. In a letter to officials at the U.S. EPA and the Centers for Disease Control and prevention, Crist asked for technical assistance for the Florida Department of Health from Environmental Response Teams and Industrial Hygeinists from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.

Florida is already beginning to learn more about the Chinese drywall on its own, however. The state sent four drywall samples to Unified Engineering, an Illinois consulting laboratory, for testing. According to the lab's report, three Chinese drywall samples contained elevated levels of elemental sulfur and also an unusual sulfur compound, strontium sulfide.

Subjected to heat and humidity in a test chamber, the three Chinese samples emitted sulfur-containing gases: hydrogen sulfide, carbonyl sulfide, and carbon disulfide. An American-made drywall sample, manufactured by National Gypsum, also emitted those gases, the report said. However, it appears likely that the National Gypsum sample had been cross-contaminated by the other samples — the American drywall was removed from a home that also contained Chinese drywall, and the samples were shipped together to the lab in the same container, without measures to isolate them from each other.

Besides the mineral content differences, the Chinese drywall had another ingredient that made it different from the American drywall: a high proportion of organic matter. While the U.S.-made sample had negligible organic matter content, an ash test of the Chinese samples showed organic matter content of 5.6%, 6.5%, and 15.1%, respectively.

Louisiana's Troubles
Florida appears to have been the biggest market for Chinese-made drywall in recent years. However, significant amounts were evidently shipped to Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama as well. In Louisiana, home inspectors Ron and Julie Hufft, of Abita Springs-based Colonial Inspection Services (985/875-7701), have sent samples for testing from a handful of houses. The homes showed the typical "red flags," says Julie Hufft — corroded copper, drywall labeled as Chinese-made, and occasionally a sulfur odor. ("Many times, people are having to have their evaporator coils replaced several times in fairly new homes," she says.) Testing by a Florida laboratory confirmed the homeowners' suspicions, Hufft reports: the samples emitted the same gases found by Unified Engineering in official Florida state testing.

If you want the entire article e-mail me and I will send it to you.

Comments

• Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Chinese drywall

Hey Tim, I've been thinkin about bringing this up on the wall since I read about it a week ago. Struck a chord remembering about the lead paint in Playschool toys from China right about the same time as the "laptop theft of info". Just before the olympics as I recall.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but...
  • What did Kruschev say

we will take you without firing a shot.

This Chinese Dry Wall even contaminates American Made Drywall if it is in the same room with it.

I can see a lot of damage to Plumbing, Heating and AC equipment with this stuff.
This discussion has been closed.