Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water loop

Boston_2
Boston_2 Member Posts: 107
Can someone help me with a simple wiring schematic to add a hot water loop? I need to add a separate thermostat, circulator and aquastat. I have everything together I just need to understand how to wire it.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,931
    You better add

What type of domestic hot water heater supplies the home , and what controls are on the unit now , Using zone valves or flowvalves and cirulators. How many zone valves on the job and what size transformer. What type zone valves and their total current draw.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Boston_2
    Hot water loop

The hot water loop is going to feed two zones in the basement. Off of one of the boiler tapings I took a 3/4" with a return into the other side of the boiler (near the wet return). I also have and equalizer with two full port ball values. This feeds into a plenum with two ports into two bronze circulators and two zone valves.
    I would just like to understand how to wire the two circulators, zone valves and auquistat.

The domestic hot water is through an electric hot water tank.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    You're talking about using hot condenste off a steam boiler, no?

That can get pretty tricky. You have to keep the boiler from kicking steam, otherwise, the part of the home that is steam is going to get hot when one of the hot water zones call.

Is this what you're trying to do?

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• John@Reliable_20
    John@Reliable_20 Member Posts: 5
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm..........

"This feeds into a plenum with two ports into two bronze circulators and two zone valves. I would just like to understand how to wire the two circulators, zone valves and auquistat."

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think "simple wiring schematic" is a under statement.

P.S. Is just the one thermostat going to control the two zones valves or just the pumps?
  • Boston_2

So there are two thermostats… #1 calls for house heat (steam) #2 calls for hot water for the basement. The basement is divided into two zones with one thermostat. The reason is, at some point I am going to make these two rooms and I didn't want to have re-plumb them later. What I am trying to figure out is, how to get the boiler to kick on and off from water temp and thermostat (#2). When thermostat #1 is not calling for heat, I don't want the system to create steam. When thermostat #2 isn't calling for heat but #1 is not, I don't want the circulators to start. The boiler is a Burnham IN6 with the original transformer.

I am an electrical engineer so with a wiring schematic I should be able to figure this out.

Thanks all
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    When I design control systems I

make two lists. List #1 is what I want to happen. List # 2 is for what I do not want to happen.

So at the top of your list #2 is:

Let the boiler go to steam without a call for heat from the steam (#1)t-stat.

I hope this is some help.

I would go buy a seperate transformer to control the basement. I would buy some relays and a few ATC or ATO auto fuses to protect the new transformer. You will need some sort of open on rise tempurature sensor to prevent going to steam.
  • John@Reliable_20
    John@Reliable_20 Member Posts: 5
    Why........................

use two pumps and two zone valves together?, with that said.

"I am an electrical engineer so with a wiring schematic I should be able to figure this out"
    Check out a Taco switching relay and a aquastat would be the easy way out. I would also suggest an "sidearm" hot water heater for those zones. This would keep the boiler water in the boiler,and zone water in the zones. Cheaper this way with better control in the long run, plus you only need one non brass pump. Running steam boiler water thru the zones will work short term, but putting very hot water into the zone system will shorten pump life.You could also cause problems with steam production in rest of house. I think you need to have someone look at this set-up before just wiring it up.
This discussion has been closed.