Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Job Pics

ERS
ERS Member Posts: 8
Hi guys. I've been reading the wall for over 6 years but never posted. I thought this was a good time. I have some job pics to show. It was one of those jobs that you take after someone else already started. I actually got stuck in the snow getting to this job today(Montana).

This is a water/water heat pump and there will be 4-6 solar hot water panels. The superstore is acting as a buffer tank. The piping system took me 2.5 hours to install. The pre-built piping system is from Advanced Hydronic Panels. There are 2 pumps feeding 7 zones. The panel on the upper right is the As(alternative source) and that is where the integration from the solar tank will feed the heating system. I didn't get it all piped in yet, and I think I'll let the snow melt before I head back out that way.

Comments

• ERS
    New Job Pics

Hi guys. I've been reading the wall for over 6 years but never posted. I thought this was a good time. I have some job pics to show. It was one of those jobs that you take after someone else already started. I actually got stuck in the snow getting to this job today(Montana).

This is a water/water heat pump and there will be 4-6 solar hot water panels. The superstore is acting as a buffer tank. The piping system took me 2.5 hours to install. The pre-built piping system is from Advanced Hydronic Panels. There are 2 pumps feeding 7 zones. The panel on the upper right is the As(alternative source) and that is where the integration from the solar tank will feed the heating system. I didn't get it all piped in yet, and I think I'll let the snow melt before I head back out that way.
  • ERS
    New Job Pics

This is a water/water heat pump and there will be 4-6 solar hot water panels. The superstore is acting as a buffer tank for the heat pump. The majority of the mech room piping took me just 2.5 hours to install. The pre-built piping system is from Advanced Hydronic Panels. There are 2 pumps feeding 7 zones. The panel on the upper right is the As(alternative source) and that is where the integration from the solar tank will feed the heating system. I didn't get it all piped in yet, and I think I'll let the snow melt before I head back out that way.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    looks real nice

it looks like you are off to a great start. nice work. Think spring. peace
  • ERS

Thanks for the compliment. The AHP panels made this go so fast and I think they look very nice. This job is "out there". About 45 miles to the nearest small hardware store. With the weather the way it is a fast install was important on this one.
  • Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    What Brand

What brand of solar panels do you get out there? And where in Mt. is the install? Live in NH now but will be relocating to Livingston.
  • ERS

Ron, I've used Apricus, Sunline and Heliodyne. Everything is available here to my knowledge. I know an installer in Bozeman and Butte that may be a little closer to you than me. I'm located in Red Lodge. The install in the picture is on the East Rosebud near Roscoe, MT. Where near Livingston are you moving. I used to live in Bozeman.

• real nice!

until i looked close, i thought i was looking at p-press. nice soldering
  • Ron Huber_2
    Panels

How do you like the Apricus vs. the Heliodynes? Our land is 8 miles east of downtown Livingston,leaving Livingston on I-90,it is at the base of Sheep Mountain,the cliffs on the North side of I-90. Passed through Red Lodge on the way to the Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone about 5 years ago. I am looking forward to getting out there,I have to wait until I can leave my son the business here and find enough work out there until I retire, probably try to find a sales job in the HVAC/Solar business.
  • ERS

I'd be a little hesitant to use the apricus or sunline evac tubes in a real windy area. If you didn't know, where you are going is REALLY WINDY. I've seen breakage of the tubes. Other than that I like them and can install them myself. No crane needed. It does take a lot of time to install the tubes. There are a couple good companies in Bozeman doing solar thermal.

I don't want to get in to the whole flat plate vs. evac tube debate here as it has been discussed alot already. I do notice my evac tubes heating early in the morning when flat plates aren't doing anything. I think the flat plates make up for that by doing better during a typical sunny day.

I'll try and post soon a system I did at the new Red Lodge Ales brewery here. 20 Heliodyne 4x10 flat plates. A very nice commercial job.

Good luck getting out here!
  • Ron Huber_2
    brewery

I am estimating for a brewery system right now, a small brew pub that also has a large restaurant. When you get a chance could you give me some info on the brewery, how big and how much the solar is expected to supplement. Also, who is your distributor for Heliodyne in your area? My eastern U.S. sales rep for Gro Solar (Heliodyne distributor)lives in Bozeman, go figure.
  • ERS

Ron, The brewery uses a minimum of 500g of 180F water per day. Except on Sundays. They will have a deli as well as a brew pub. I'm expecting, on sunny days, around 1000g taken from 50F up to around 150F. We also have it tied in to the heating system(radiant floor) and right now it seems to be heating the place. Sorry I didn't get any pics, but will soon.

For the solar space heating interface I didn't use an Advanced Hydronic Panel, AlternativeAdvanced Hydronic Panels source Element, but probably should have. The brewery supplied the tanks(dairy) and there is still some work to be done.

I don't know the rep from Heliodyne here. This system was designed by the architects engineer and they had Heliodyne for the spec. I'd have to say the project has gone very well so far. I'll do a post on that project shortly.
  • Mech E
    Mech E Member Posts: 10

Any thoughts of using Viessmann flat plates or evac tubes?

They are rated the best output/sq. foot based on the SRCC OG-100 rating system, and wind is not an issue with either of them (well insulated, mounting structure sturdy)...
  • ERS

I have been around the Viessmann flat plates and wouldn't hesitate to use them anywhwere. They were the best built flat plates I have seen. I wouldn't hesitate to use the evac tubes either. From what I've heard they are very nice. I think any time you can get a Viessmann anything in to a job that is a good thing.
This discussion has been closed.