Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Scout Steam Boiler Cleaner v. Squick?

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
USED PROPERLY , you will get results exactly as stated on the can. squick is the original.

Comments

• Julian Ku
    Julian Ku Member Posts: 43
    Scout Steam Boiler Cleaner v. Squick?

To reduce hammering and other problems, a friend recommended using "Squick" to clean out sediment in our steam heating system. Our local plumbing supply store only carries "Scout". Does anyone have any thoughts on either product?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    squick or H2O?

my favorite boiler additive is pure water, lightly boiled to get the oxygen out!

squick should only be used as a last resort, after a good few skimmings [if the hammering is caused by dirty water].

the hammering may be caused by other things, for which squick cannot compensate. the problems may be due to improper piping, inadequate venting, or high pressure [over 16 ounces].

in my opinion, squick would be appropriate for use at a time when a good skimming is difficult to do. its effects can only be temporary, because it has only absorbed the oil, not removed it. it is the equivalent of the "instant tire repair in a can"--it will hold things together until you get to the tire repair store, and as a result, you may require a tire replacement, because of its use.--nbc
  • bob young
    squick

all you say is true, nickolo but silver king has also been in business a very long time and is successful with this product. i use it when necessary as i have had good results with it for well over forty years. it does what they state on the label. not miracles , just results. skimming has also been around for a while , about a hundred years that i know of. it also works pretty well.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    just a purist

when we replaced our old american standard after 35 years, i am sure that the original squick was still in the bottom of the sections. i am just worried about putting anything other than water into the new peerless 211a, and so far haven't needed anything. i am going for 45 years on this one!!--nbc
  • bob young
    peerless

peerless has a full set of detailed instructions for cleaning & maintenance of their equipment. most don't bother reading them. i do. and i believe they are correct. squick is actually a quick fix , a homeowner could work on his boiler 24/7 if he was really obsessed ! i am that type but am distracted because of my full time plumbing business !! lol
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    reading the manual

i did read their manual, and thought it was excellent. as an anti-knucklehead preventer, maybe the boiler control should have some intelligence, so that when firing for the initial few times [while skimming], it would pose questions, which can only be answered by having read the instructions!! it would only fire when you gave the correct answer!!--nbc
  • bob young
    GREAT IDEA

BUT a ton of boilers would probably be locked out permanently ! lol
This discussion has been closed.