Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

b-room pics of our newest acct

is directly connected to the big b&g scrubber, and except for the one b-valved spiro that i saw, the others aren't valved or capped. so, i'm guessing that they auto-vent. and even though they've had no probs with heating, i'll check the tank anyway. they have had cooling probs in winter when the cooling tower is down for the season. but if that were due to a log prob, then there should've also been heating probs. but i think the glycol simply runs out of 'capacity'/gets too hot for cooling, bec it doesn't have a reservoir/well etc so that it can cool itself through dissipation. i'd like to sell them a storage/ cooling tank/system project. or convert the tower to glycol

Comments

• hey steamhead - b-room pics of our newest acct

the one i mentioned in an earlier thread

treated, glycol based heat pumps, 2-story, highest return/supply piping from boiler to 6ish spiros - 28', 6 older vents are 1/4" cu piped out of Ts and down to eye level on a wall board with keyed vents. 13 carrier and mcquay uprights, and 15 econo wall units. lead/lag, 10hp, b&g 1531s, 3118t aw, 175psi, 3450rpm, 20/13psi return/ supply, circuit setters everywhere

and my question is; with 'low' temp glycol exchange in an open system, what's the probability that air will remain in the lines to the point of needing to be concerned about locking up a heat pump with an air pocket? the coiled exchangers are vertical, but unlike radiators, the hp mftrs don't bother to install bleeders in the units. we'll be changing out another 14 wall units, and i'm also wondering if it's worth soldering in t-bleeders for the wallies
  • deleted duplicate

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    I wonder

if those t-bleeders would be more likely to leak when running glycol?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • more likely to leak when running glycol?

that's something i'm also wondering about. and i'm guessing epdm but....... and on the next ones, i think i'll go with a baseboard t and a keyed valve
  • and, unless i'm misunderstanding

the automaticness of spiros, they shouldn't remain open on an air cushion tank system, correct? and i can only think of one that has a b-valve under it
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Right

with a plain steel tank, there should be no automatic vents at all. The air separator should be connected to the tank thru an Airtrol tank fitting, so as to route the air back to the tank to maintain the air cushion. Not sure if the Spirovent can be hooked up this way, but the B&G microbubble unit can.

Many folks like to replace these plain tanks with bladder or diaphragm tanks, but that introduces another point of failure (the bladder/disphragm). A properly-installed plain tank will not waterlog.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.