Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat/water in one of two zones

Options
Ryan_18
Ryan_18 Member Posts: 3
Hello everyone! Great forum.

I would greatly appreciate your help. I decided to remove a few hot water baseboards that weren't needed. In my ignorance, I assumed this was as simple as turning the water off and back on. Apparently not!

After soldering my new lines, I opened everything back up. Now I don't have any water in that line, and can't for the life of me figure out how to get water back in on my system. I see references to fill valves needing to be manually opened, but every valve I have is already open!

This may sound dumb, but I'm confused as to whether I should be trying to add water OR trying to remove the air which will let water back in.

I can try to get some pics of the system if you think it would help.

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    yes, def pics

'Now I don't have any water in that line'; how do you know that? and, it could be something as 'simple' as air
  • Jim_47
    Jim_47 Member Posts: 244
    Options
    Self Help

Understanding hydronics operations is one of the factors in becoming a heating technican. If it was as simple as turning the water on and off..... Maybe your system needs to be purged, Maybe the Automatic fill valve failed, or maybe there is another problem associated with the change to the system. Where are you located? Any pics? Oh and wait til the weekend to do this simple change.
  • Ryan_18
    Options

Thanks Mike & Jim.

What I meant was that I thought by removing the baseboard and making it a continuous run, that I wouldn't be affecting the operation of the unit itself. I mistakely thought the line would fill up again like standard supply lines. I didn't mean to imply there was anything easy or simple about any of it! :)

Here are the few basic things I know:

1. The supply line to the zone is not hot
    2. When the thermostat kicks on and the circulator runs, all I hear is a slight gurgling sound when I open the purge valve near the return
    3. The other zone is working fine, and the furnance is reading the proper temperature (180) and PSI (13)

Here are a few pics to show my system setup. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    and your thinking was semi-rational,

that it'd fill, but heating isn't as simple as a standard supply line. with the slight gurgling, you may be on the right track with air in the line. but since there are a couple ways to do it, i wouldn't feel comfortable trying to talk you through it
  • Ryan_18
    Options

Well Mike, I think I stumbled onto the solution. I think at some point I opened the air relief valve too much. So, here's what I did.

1. Turned the set screw on the relief valve to close it considerably (though I don't know to what PSI...how can you tell??)

2. Opened the Taco Flo-chek valve.

I immediately got hot water flowing into the pipes. The pressure gauge started climbing to around 25 PSI. I then opened the purge valve at the end of the return and began incrementally opening the pressure relief valve. I did this until I got a steady flow of water and the pressure returned to normal. Everything is checking out fine right now, but I'll keep a close eye on it!
This discussion has been closed.