Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus rads with pinholes

Options
scott markle_2
scott markle_2 Member Posts: 611
So the theory here is that the oxygen needs to find a place to bind and if the inhibitor is blocking access to the water and bulk of the steel surfaces, it's going to stay at high concentrations in these trapped air pockets. Something more to worry about. Wouldn't inhibited glycol have the same effect? I felt good about the Rhomar 922 I'v got pumping, and you had to go and ruin it with this nice little tidbit.

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Leakers

I have a customer with a couple Buderus panel rads, installed 6 years ago, that have developed pinhole leaks in them. Close examination revealed several spots in each rad that look like a rust bubble underneath the paint. I have sent out a water sample from the system for evaluation. It contains no antifreeze.

Wondering if anyone here has run into similar problems with Buderus or others? My initial rough test of the water showed it was slightly acidic but I've come across worse. Has anyone ever encountered bacterial corrosion in a sealed system? Is it even possible?
  • cowie_4
    cowie_4 Member Posts: 18
    Options
    leakers

I've installed a few Buderus radiators going back some five years. No leaks. Wonderful products.
    Cowie
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Yes, but...

It was on a system that had gone through inadvertent glycol dilution. Not something I'd consider a "normal" operating condition.

I suppose that it is possible to have bacterial corrosion occurring in a closed loop heating system. Especially of the fluid temps are well below 180 degrees F.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that quite some time ago, when we were putting the finishing touches on an RPA document dealing with the installation of hydronic heating systems, that the steel panel radiators manufacturers had us put into the document that the use of liquid corrosion inhibitors was NOT recommended. Their reasoning was that if there were any bubbles in the system, that there might be some areas that didn't receive corrosion inhibitors, and consequently, those areas would have a tendency to fail at an early, accelerated rate.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kpc_72
    kpc_72 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I have some 22 series

in my own house that have no issues. even a couple of 11 series and a 33 series. Which series are yours? I have nothing but water in the system thatis home runned w/ Wirsbo he PEX. I have run in to issues w/ Runtals but that was w/. non barrier tubing.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options

Mark you said at an earlier accelerrated rate, I am wondering if they have expected life span for these items? My father staunchly is against these panel rads as per concerns of this nature. I do prefer perimeter baseboard of good quality for hydronics, but i feel i am being a dinosaur untill i start reading posts like these.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    My oldest Buderus rads are I think close to 15 yrs old, no leaks

to date. I put them in on a steam to water conversion with all new piping back then.
This discussion has been closed.