Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Large Solar storage tank top

Wayco Wayne_2
Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
who has an 800 gallon storage tank for her drainback sloar system It looks like a small above ground pool in her basement. It's about 4 ft high and maybe 8 ft in diamenter. The top has fallen apart and I have to find or make a replacement. The old top was made of expanded styrofoam covered in plastic. Kind of lie a hot tub lid. Any suggestions on where to find something like that or how to make one might be better. WW

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=255&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    maybe make a top out of rigid insulation to fit the size and

then take to fiberglass shop and have them encase in fiberglass with a lip for around the perimeter of tank, ps boat shops need the work right now. Would work pretty slick. Tim
  • rt_2
    rt_2 Member Posts: 86

If it is 8' Dia., I would go to a home building supply house like Home Cheapo and buy 4 sheets (4 X 8) of foam with foil covering. I would lay out 2 of them side to side and cut out the diameter. Then I would take the other 2 and glue them using something like liquid nail if its compatible with foil, to the first 2 except at a 90 degree angle from the 1st two. Then cut that circumference using the first 2 as a guide. I can't imagine the cover gets removed too often so it should last a long time and it would be pretty well insulated. It would be at least 4" thick which I assume would be much thicker than the original.

Rene
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Thanks for the ideas

I took the top all the way off and hopped into the tank. (It was drained. :) ) The bottom had styrofoam too and it was all cracking and broke up. Took it out and bagged it. I guess there is some concern about heat loss through the bottom, but That being the coolest part of the tank I don't know why. I was thinking of sinking some 2 in extruded cut to the shape of the bottom. and weighing it down with cinder blocks. Then for the top I like the ides of the foil faced insulation at least for facing the water. maybe then stacking some 2 inch blueboard on top to beef up the R- values. I need a new sight glass and differential controller too. It's a 25 year old drainback. 26 flat panels. The tank is 6 foot diameter not 8. My mistake. Any improvemnts? Let me know. WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • scrook_3
    scrook_3 Member Posts: 64
    would this be an option?

http://www.stsscoinc.com/Products.aspx

Seen a couple in the field, in 600-1000 gallon sizes. Seem to work well.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    KIDS!!

I like the idea of the foil faced "Home made" lid but i would recommend reinforcing it as prev mentioned with fiberglass just to prevent the possibly of someone ( like small children) falling thru the lid and getting scalded by 150 to 170F fluid .

safety ist # 1 !
  • rt_2
    rt_2 Member Posts: 86

I agree that safety is first. I can't believe that a child could fall through a foam cover that is 4 to 5" thick. Remember, the tank is 6' wide. A man should be able to get on it. But if that's a concern, just glue on a piece of 1/4" plywood.
  • My foam solar cover

Absorbed water into the foam, last time I had it off I painted all the edges to see if I could keep the water out. I think the round fiberglass covers made for fiberglass tanks, like AK Industries, might be a good option, if they sell the covers seperately.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EJ hoffman
    EJ hoffman Member Posts: 126
    Hot tub service companies

Most local hot tub service companies make custom covers for hot tubs. They cover the foam in vinyl and add locks. They usually contract this out to local Upholestry shops.
  • Metro Man
    Metro Man Member Posts: 220
    lid

If it where mine I would fab a permanent lid with a manhole opening. No need to open the entire 6'.

Try wrapping new insulated lid with EPDM

My 2c

Metro Man
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Does extruf\ded

polystyrene take on water and get waterlogged? WW

• Wayco Wayne_2
    Does extruded

polystyrene take on water and get waterlogged? WW

• kpc_72
    kpc_72 Member Posts: 3
    I imagine....

it would if hot enough and wet log enough. Is that not one of the reasons when doing radiant floor under a slab they have a vapor barrier first then the Dow board on top.... IS the water in this tank potable or just act and the transfer medium through a coil?
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    The water in the tank

is the transfer medium of the drainback system.

• Marc_18
    Marc_18 Member Posts: 11
    Sloar tank

Large solar tanks http://www.stsscoinc.com/Default.aspx
This discussion has been closed.