Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing Barometric Flue Damper????

jimscout
jimscout Member Posts: 11
Shows it right on the install pictures, make sure he wired it correctly;If your boiler fires without it open;
HELLO SOOT. (Also watch out for those pesky long sheetmetal screws.)

Comments

• Jeff_130
    Jeff_130 Member Posts: 31
    Is it OK to remove the barometric flue damper?

Hi:

My service tech was just here and installed a Field Controls Oil Vent Damper on my old steam boiler. As part of the install he removed the barometric damper that was there, is this ok? The install diagram shows the atmospheric damper installed before the automatic vent damper... What are the possible negative effects?

The literature for the OVD is at http://www.fieldcontrols.com/pdfs/4325OilVentDamperSS.pdf

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
  • Jeff_130
    Is it OK to remove the barometric flue damper?

Hi:

My service tech was just here and installed a Field Controls Oil Vent Damper on my old steam boiler. As part of the install he removed the barometric damper that was there, is this ok? The install diagram shows the atmospheric damper installed before the automatic vent damper... What are the possible negative effects? Will the removal of the barometric damper negate any savings that the vent damper is supposed to provide?

The literature for the OVD is at http://www.fieldcontrols.com/pdfs/4325OilVentDamperSS.pdf

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    Vent Dampers v Barometric

Vent dampers are used on atmospheric gas boilers. Barometric dampers are required on oil fired appliances or power burners. A vent damper is not used on an oil fired appliance

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    They are now

Field just now came out with one designed for oil.

Jeff, the tech should NOT have removed the barometric. It is crucial to maintaining proper combustion over a wide range of draft conditions. Without it, you would probably use considerably more oil then with it.

Call and speak to his supervisor NOW. If you don't get satisfaction, switch companies.

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Field Controls Oil Vent Damper

Field OVD-4 thru OVD-8 Oil Vent Damper (new item, 4" to 8" flue sizes) installs after the Barometric Draft Control, so:

boiler

blocked vent switch (e.g. Field WMO-1)

combustion test hole

draft control (e.g. Field RC or M)

oil vent damper (e.g. Field OVD-#)

chimney

He should have left (or moved if needed) the Barometric, they perform different functions! Be curious to hear how it works out.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    draft regulator

that's what it does, and needs to be put back on. peace
  • Jeff_130
    Update

After some further discussion with him he installed a barometric damper as well. Although, he placed it between the Field OVD and the chimney as opposed to between the OVD and the boiler. Any thoughts?

OVD is working... so far. Field claims that it will save as much as 10% on fuel usage... I have an old house with a 40+ foot chimney that generates a whole lot of draft so hopefully this will save me a few bucks before I have to bite the bullet and replace the boiler.
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    The barometric

is clearly shown between the boiler & the damper. Why? To keep the chimney draft from removing heated air from the home (as it will in its present configuration), as well as heat from the boiler.

You pay to heat both. Keep that paid for heat away from the chimney as long as possible.
  • kpc_71
    kpc_71 Member Posts: 5
    I know Smith....

on their Series 8 oil boiler to NOT install a barometric.

• are those 5-10% savings realistic? Would I be more apt to save 5-10% on an older oil boiler than a new one? With 5-10% savings, this should be a no brainer on all new installs, right?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Only if

the draft doesn't exceed their specs for the 8 series without one. If it does, it's too high, and the barometric is the cure.

Jeff, a lot depends on the type of chimney you have. With a newer chimney it might not be such a big deal, but on an older one that can pull pets and small children to the roof, you'll save more with the damper.

• Jeff_130

Steamhead:

I've got an older house with a boatload of draft so I'm hoping to realize some real savings. I'll post my results (smells, etc. as well as savings - if any).

Jeff
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,243
    Just Keep in Mind...

These oil dampers were quite popular when oil was priced high in the late 1970's. They were also very prone to getting stuck as soot and the garbage that accumulates in the breach foul them and keep them from opening/closing.

Many oil companies routinely removed them because they became a service problem.

Maintain it well and it will serve you and save you some money. I had mine for over twenty years, and while it required regular cleaning, it did save me about 5% on an older Dunkirk boiler and a 40 foot tall oversized chimney.

Forget it's there and one day you'll come home to a cold house or worse.
  • Larry C_13
    Larry C_13 Member Posts: 94
    Any feedback yet?

Jeff,

Any feedback yet? I am interested in having one installed if they work as advertised.

Larry C
This discussion has been closed.