Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Duramax in a van or a Sprinter.

Erich_3
Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
The Duramax engine was designed by Isuzu. They are world class producers of reliable diesel engines. They set up a partnership with GM called Dmax to produce the Duramax in Ohio. GM has since bought out Isuzu and is the sole owner of Dmax. It would be hard to find a better light truck diesel than the Duramax. It is not only powerful but quiet.

Comments

• Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395
    I am leaning towards the Sprinter

I did see some things go by here about problems with them over the last year. It costs a bit more but you cant ignore the fuel savings and the extra space. I have a 06 F350 with a covered workmaster body. The body is great but the engine has failed twice and I have yet to reach 70K. I have heard that is the way the 6.0 is and the new 6.4 is not any better. No more Fords for me for a while. I have been really happy with our silverado with the Duramax. Its time for another van though. How are the Sprinters doing out their?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    Sprinter with 10K

and I have been very pleased. Mileage in the long, tall version low 20's. 10,000 between oil changes. very nice and comfortable cab layout, seats adjust, 12V power plugs, storage nooks abound, and plenty of cup holders.

A bit drifty in big winds is my only complaint, lots of sheetmetal :)

My neighbor takes care of 30 Sprinters for City Utilities here. They have had excellent results, most ly stop and go driving. 16-19 mpg with them idleling a lot at jobsites. They run 15K between oil changes after years of oil analysis. My Ford 6.0 needs oil changes every 3K, and lots of oil.

Here are some tie downs I found for those rails in the bed. Same rails the airlines use to mount seats, by the way. www.sortimo.com/index.php?id=1&L=1

Here is an interesting Sprinter website, shows the hybrids and some unique applications.

www.whnet.com/4x4/sprinter.html

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    sprinters

We've got 2 old ones 02's over 100k miles few problems at first to get sorted but they have been problem free the last few years. Much better mileage than duramax van and you can stand up in them. Imperial Chrysler in Mendon Ma is blowing out some left over high roofs right now for around 34k can't beat that price i think
  • Big Will
    Big Will Member Posts: 395
    Sounds food

Thats a long haul from northern California though. I did not know about the oil changes being that far apart. I spend alot of money on oil and filters with the trucks we have. Five thousand miles in a month is a easy month

Fat fingers F is next to G you know how it is. have Food day.
  • martin
    martin Member Posts: 144
    Sprinters

I have a 05 long high bay unit. Get 23+ in summer and 20 winter, 86K on the truck currently. Put new front brakes at 70K and new tires at 75K. The only problem Ive had was there was crap on the metal before paint on rear doors and some on right rear panel, found at 40K and the wouldn't cover under warrantty. Looks like boils coming thru the paint. I'm going to work on it when it gets warm.
  • EMB
    EMB Member Posts: 37
    New Sprinter

Will, Call your local dealer -Autoworld Petaluma. You should be able to get a new Sprinter somewhere between $6-7K below msrp. They have a large dust covered inventory!!

Enda
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227

Going today to look at one. I have seen them for 9K below list.

Rob
  • EMB
    EMB Member Posts: 37
    9 below

I think it's time get rid of the gas hogs!

Enda
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Look at Freightliner Dealer for Sprinter

You might want to check at your local Freightliner dealer. Freightliner is owned by Mercedes and the Sprinter is assembled in the US Freightliner factory. You eliminate the middleman by going direct to Freightliner. Another thing to think about is the possibility that Chrysler may go bankrupt.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    they build them in Germany, then

drop the power train out and ship them over. they are re-assembled here. Avoids some sort of tariff or import regulation, according to my dealer.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.