Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a vapor system

Yes Paul, this is a vapor system. From your photo's it would appear it is an O-E System. The trap you have is very similar to the Broomell trap except your's has a tiny ball check inside it. To be sure, I'd look at the near boiler piping and check out the return, there should be a special tee like fitting close to ceiling at the end of the return. The tee like creature was a air eliminator with a rod in it that allowed air to pass but not steam. Some how I'm not real sure how it closed when steam hit but it must contract some how to let the air pass and swell when steam hits it.
If you can, show more pic's of the near boiler piping especially the dry return before it drops down.

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• Paul_34
    Paul_34 Member Posts: 31

By looking at this pictures of the lower radiator fitting, what kind of 2 pipe steam is it.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    That's an \"O-E\" Vapor system

the return ell contains a water seal and a small vent opening to let air thru. Also a check ball to keep any vapor that might have gotten into the dry return from flowing backward into the radiator. This system is illustrated on page 264 of "The Lost Art of Steam Heating".

If the boiler doesn't have a Vaporstat, have one installed. The pressure should not exceed 8 ounces or so.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Paul_34

there are main air vent at the end of the dry returns. I looked all thru dan's book and i think when they replaced the boiler 17 years ago some changed some piping around. The water line on the boiler is lower by 2" of the hartford loop close nipple. I don't know if we even have 24" from water line to header. I will be getting some more pictures tomorrow.
  • Paul_34

here are some of the pictures.
  • Paul_34

does it matter what radiator valves you have on this vapor system.
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

Dan's book "The Lost Art of Steam Heating" might be a good purchase for you (available on this website). It will give you info on vapor systems and on the O-E in particular.

I don't think the radiator vents matter too much, as long as they're sized correctly to balance the system.

The main vents replaced the original venting piece. That's fine. The original valve was designed to create vacuum for the original coal burning boiler. Modern boiler don't need or want the vacuum. A vaporstat is important to keep the pressure really low.

From the picture it looks like that Hartford loop is low. Dan's book will also explain how that should be done.

I have no idea why all those plugged tees are in the piping. I hope it's not from missing components.
  • Paul_34

I do have all of dan's steam books.
This discussion has been closed.