Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

clunk in radiator ?

I removed an old oil fired boiler and installed a new burnham hot water boiler, now the cust. says a bedroom radiator clunks in the night. I raised the water pressure and blead air out on first visit and it got better but is not gone any thoughts? Old system had pump, i left same expantion tank boiler sized to radiation, old boiler maintained temp new one does not.

Comments

• John@Reliable_20
    John@Reliable_20 Member Posts: 5
    More info would help...............

IE: did old system have a pump?,compression tank or expansion tank or no tank? Is the new system size to heat lost.Piping get moved etc, I guess you can see where I'm going, it could be a lot of reasons. How about some pictures to start with.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    ditto John

The house could have settled bringing the old boiler across the floor. Too many potentials. New boiler now pumping away? peace
  • is your...?

Is your helper missing? He may be trying to get out of the radiator.. Just like doctors leave things inside patients. Scary, but we need some pictures!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    clunk

Nah, that would be a knock, not a clunk. lol peace
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Small changes in the near boiler piping will affect things very far away. I had one (my own house) where I developed a sound like a brass hammer hitting the rad every night. I cut the floor away from the pipe and problem solved. expanding pipe touching the wood floor really does sound like someone is hitting it occasionally.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Mark Z_2
    Mark Z_2 Member Posts: 24
    clunk in radiator

Timco, have the exact same thing w/ a 49sgEDR steam rad. 99% of the time you hear it on the cool-down cycle. Sounds like a mini-gong and only one clunk, then silence. I may cut away a little floor or slip in a thin plastic sleeve to let it slide during heating/coling.

best regards, Mark Z
This discussion has been closed.