Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco VDT question

Andrew Hagen_2
Andrew Hagen_2 Member Posts: 236
How about an isolation flange with check valve? <a href="http://www.bellgossett.com/productPages/Parts-Check-Trol-Isolation-Flange.asp"target="_blank">B&G</a> make one.

Comments

• Got my first,

Taco 008-VDTF6 circ i would like to try on my Prestige.
    However, I was not able to get-it with IFC which I need, so I figured I would just add one from my stock.
    The casting is machined for it, and has "IFC" embossed.
    Unfortunately the casting hole is much smaller than the usual ones I have kicking around, and I can`t seem to find any parts #`s to order-one on the site.
    I would rather not add a huge flow-control to my piping scheme, is it possible to get these separately? :-(

Dave
  • Great idea Andrew,

I hadn`t seen them before.
    But I already have a valve, so using these I`ll need to drain everything to remove-it so it wont look like a "paid by the valve" job. ;-)
    Thanks anyway though.

Dave
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709

Hi Dave
    Taco began machining a bore into every 00 casting to minimize inventory. The correct IFC # is 006-047RP if you want to press one in. The 008-VDTF6 pump is not offered with an IFC, because it's commonly used as a system pump, with multiple zone valves. The IFC is not needed, so it didn't make sense to offer one. Hopefully this helps.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Thank You Joe,

that does help, it`s now on order.
    I`ll have to remember that #, as if this works the way I hope it does I`m going to use these on all my installs.
    My Solo 60 uses 2 check valved pumps from 1 HX supply(DHW priority & heating), so seeing as the VDT first starts full speed for 30 seconds I should have no problem incorporating this C/V within-it.
    Thanks again

Dave
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    IFC??

I put in a 008 VDT last month. I noticed the IFC insignia. I actually called my supplier. They didn't have a clue. On the box it says optional IFC. New stuff! On a different issue I was concerned about the sensors being tricked by a indirct water heater or bypass. Should the return pipes of the space heat be on a different manifold? I was writing with Mario S. at Taco a couple of times and things just ended unanswered. Great circ. that's for sure
  • Rocky
    Rocky Member Posts: 121
    I'm jazzed about the VDT

as well. Have put out about 15 bids in the last week and a half, and fully 80% of those bids incorporate a VDT pump either as the boiler pump, radiant pump, or DHW pump, or combination thereof. I see lots of possibilities with this pump. and the fact that it is easy to replace the card means you don't have to have the whole pump on your truck should something happen to one in the middle of the night. Way to go, Taco!
    Rock
  • Jim Hilpipre
    Jim Hilpipre Member Posts: 19
    VDT and Prestige

HI Dave,

I would not advise installing a VDT circulator as the primary boiler circulator!

Last fall we installed a Solo 110 and used a VS off the domestic water tap to provide some baseboard heating. That was not the right thing to do however!!!!!!!!

One must realize that these boilers need a certain amount of flow or they are not very interested in performing for you. (Believe me, I know.)

I repiped into a p/s and used the VS circ on the system side while maintaining adequate flow through the Solo and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Jim Hilpipre

PS. Congratulations Rocky on your victory!!!!
  • JIM

Thanks for your input, I appreciate every opinion.
    However, I`m curious to know why anyone would take a BB zone off the water heater? Especially when the boiler is right there.
    The minimum flow TT calls for on the Solo 60(110 is same HX), is 3 GPM.
    As my system is 3 zone Mono-Flo, dialing-in the required DT will be a plus as a 15-58 on speed 1 results in velocity noise with 1 zone calling.
    Besides, what could be the worst to happen, short cycling?

Dave
  • Jim Hilpipre
    Jim Hilpipre Member Posts: 19
    Dave

The system we pulled baseboard off was for an addition. The vast majority of the home had CI rads and was able to design for around a 125 SWT on design day thus allowing the boiler to condense anytime the CI system called for heat. (We are also running on outdoor reset.)

I do not remember the lockout codes that were coming up but I believe it was probably an E-25 code indicating insufficient flow through boiler.

You are correct in that the boiler will run on 3GPM and now that I think about our problems I think we also had a return migration issue that kind of goofed up the supply sensor reading on the VS and did not clear out quick enough to establish a Delta T.

Your mono flo tee system probably would work with the VDT and is good that you can try it at home.

Let us know how it works out.

Have a GREAT EASTER weekend.

Jim

PS. I meant to say the we pulled off the high temp zones from the Prestige indirect water heater tap. (I don't communicate through text very well.)
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    VDT?

It's vicoden doing talking. Take care! The tripod will fall soon. Nobody knows what that means. Watch out for those chocolate bunnies this weekend.
  • Another troll?

Whatever you`re talking about, have a great day! :-).

Dave
  • Rocky
    Rocky Member Posts: 121
    He means the Nenana Ice Tripod

a local Alaskan tradition whereby people bet on when the river ice will go out on the Nenana River. They set a large wooden tripod out on the ice with a wire connected to a clock on shore. When the river ice breaks up signalling Spring, the tripod moves and the trip wire records the time the ice officially "went out". the winner usually gets around $300,000. Closest thing Alaska has to a lottery. The vicoden was probably in regards to my mangled knee post a few days ago.

April 29th, 3:17 a.m. I'll be $300,000 richer! ;-)

Rocky
  • Thanks Rocky,

I didn`t understand.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.