Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

So What's the trick?

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
and balls

Comments

• Bob Forand
    Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
    So What's The Trick?

Someone once told me that they can change an electric hot water heater element without draining the tank, by using a shop vac.

Can someone tell me how ???
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    pulling a vacuum

I've done this on oil tanks many many times, don't know if it would work on an opening that big, and not on the bottom. peace
  • bob young

vacuum
  • You must

have SPEED! LOL
  • billtwocase
    and luck?

• bob young
    luck is good....sometimes !

nothing wrong with luck.....as long as its GOOD !! lol
  • billtwocase

If it weren't for bad luck, i'd have no luck at all lol
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Vacuum maker not required

I guess if you wanted to use one, you could, but it's not necessary.

Close the cold, and hot outlet if possible. Relieve the tank pressure to zero (drain cock, relief vale, tap) whatever. Once pressure is to zero, close off the measn of having relieved the pressure.

Prepare new element (or drain cock or relief valve or diode or whatever) for installation.

Pull old element, and slip new element (quickly) in to place. You should only lose a couple of "GLUGS" of water.

Final tighten appurtenance, turn on cold water and purge air out of vessel.

You might need the water vac to catch the "gluggage"...

I picked up all of the McDonald's Restaurant service business in Denver using that trick. Previous service person took nearly 2 hours to change a drain cock. I did it in 10 minutes...

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob young
    when luck goes sour

the luck factor comes into play if you have no control valve on the hot side. some moron opens a faucet , breaks the vacuum & its party time . lol ...... it happens.
  • billtwocase

The cooler the water the better. As Mark said, it can be done without draining the tank. Just be ready with what you are replacing. Once that vacuum fully breaks, put on your shower cap. Most important, be sure the circut breaker is off, and there is no pwer to the tank. Water and electricity is a bad combo. peace
  • billtwocase

Bob, that's the only time someone needs to flush a toilet, or open a faucet is when you have something apart in the basement. It's like punishment I guess
  • bob young
    it really sucks when the culprit is your helper !!

• Lyle {pheloa} Carter
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter Member Posts: 65
    Water heater elements

Also; Make sure the element your removing is a single loop straight element. Something like a state sandhog is doubled over and S-shaped will get hung up being removed from the tank . You'll see more than a few gluggs. Some of the doubled over elements open like a toggle bolt and have to be straightened before removeing. Its only ten min's to pump down a 60 gallon tank.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Vacume!!!

I have done this many times as the following:

1. Shut off electric power to the Waterheater

2. Shut off the water...

3. Relief the pressure.

4. Make sure that none opens a faucet so that the vacume will remain

5. Set up all the tools/some towels.

6. Change the element Quick, do Not hesitate when changing it! it will gurgle JUST DO IT and get er done!

7. Repressurize the waterheater, reinstall all the power.

8. And think about all the time that you did not waste waiting for the Waterheater to drain.

Key is that the faucets in the house stay closed!!!!!
    Good luck Richard
  • John@Reliable_19
    John@Reliable_19 Member Posts: 4
    Did this on ................................

a 500 gallon water heater tank with-out a drop spilled. Problem was a leaking aquastat well, the building super told me it takes over 1 hour to drain the tank, not today I told him. The look on his face when I removed the well was priceless!
  • Jim Erhardt_3
    Jim Erhardt_3 Member Posts: 80
    Hydronics

We used to change out circs the same way. One day, one of the guys reached up on top of the boiler to grab a wrench and his shirt sleeve caught the relief valve lever. It was not a happy day for him...
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    change out

Did this on a bunch of CHW coils to replace 1/2" plugs w/ valves w/a 30/70 mix of ethelyne glycol and water, just valved off the supply & return unscrewed one plug at a time
    worked great, the last thing we wanted to do was to clean up/relace the mix of glycol and water. Like others have posted have all you need on hand before you get to work.
  • billtwocase
    you da man John

I bet he also tried to cut your service fee too? But you were only here 2o min. peace
  • John@Reliable_20
    John@Reliable_20 Member Posts: 5
    This is how I handle those types Bill,

I don't do this as a hobby, and I don't need any practice!
    John@Reliable
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,830
    make sure the vac can hold

the capacity of the tank!

The issue as Lyle mentioned is an element that has spread out inside the tank and won't fit through the hole.

This can happen even with the single loop element. It's always a gamble. Make sure you have a plan B should you get into the procedure and things go wrong.

I'd be reluctant to try one on a hot tank, second floor, on a carpeted space, without a floor drain nearby, etc.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
This discussion has been closed.